The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   I think Maggie is choking! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/i-think-maggie-choking-33740/)

AussieDaisyGirl 08-12-2009 03:00 PM

I think Maggie is choking!

I just gave the girls their lunchtime feed, scoop of alfalfa pellets, scoop of pellet feed.

I went back out because when I looked out the window I noticed Maggie wasn't eating which was really strange.

So I went back out and she was swaying back and forth and nodding her head, she came towards me and I saw green goopy fluid pouring out her nose and mouth and saw it on her legs.

I've called the vet and waiting for them to call me back to let me know when they're coming.

Please cross your fingers she's ok :cry:

CowGirlUp9448 08-12-2009 03:03 PM

Oh my *crosses fingers* I hope all will be okay. Poor girl.

goldilockz 08-12-2009 03:03 PM

I hope the vet gets there soon!

AussieDaisyGirl 08-12-2009 03:15 PM

Vet will be here in 25 minutes. Coming from another farm call. I hope she's going to be ok. My worst fear is she aspirate's the gunk and gets pneumonia. She's too fragile for that. Poor girl. Ugh.

mls 08-12-2009 03:27 PM

Stay with her, keep her quiet and gently massage her throat until the vet gets there. Many times by getting them to relax, a slight obstruction can be resolved.

dee 08-12-2009 03:36 PM

Let us know how it goes - thoughts and prayers are with you and Maggie!

andysgagirl 08-12-2009 04:41 PM

Hopefully she will be!

She probably is choking, my horse chokes too and thats what he does. You should walk her around so she can work that stuff up, she will blow it out her nose and mouth. If it's pellets it should eventually dissolve. I have to water my horses pellets and let them soak before I feed him, he hasn't choked since I started doing this.

But once they choke the first time they are likely to do it again. Some people told me I should switch to a grain because the pellets take more saliva to dissolve and thats why he kept choking. After talking to my vet she said to defiantly stick to pellets though - pellets breakdown easier and if a horse choked on a grain it wouldn't be able to break down and unblock the throat as easily as a pellet.

Hope this helps and Maggie will be okay!

themacpack 08-12-2009 10:17 PM

Bumping in the hopes of an update......................

AussieDaisyGirl 08-13-2009 08:33 AM

Sorry, it's been one helluva night.

She did choke. But after three hours of trying to clear the blockage, the vet is convinced she cleared most of it on her own and we're faced with another problem.

He says there's a stricture at the thoracic area, where the oesophegus joins the stomach. He said it's either scar tissue from a previous choke, or a tumour. And if it's a tumour it gives a reason for her weight loss.

They're coming out again this morning to try put the tube all the way into her stomach again. If they can't, which they weren't able to last night with different size tubes, then she's got to be trucked to either University of Tennessee or up to KY. Either trip is 3 hours.

One thing that lead him to believe it's a tumour is that water being pumped into the tube - wasn't coming back out when they drained or manually extracted it. So stuff is getting into her stomach.

He also palpated her while she was sedated. He thinks she might be in foal but he's not 100% sure either way.

She was sedated and her face swelled up like a balloon, and she got nasty, so she had to be aced. After that, I've had to make sure she didn't go down.

themacpack 08-13-2009 08:34 AM

N/M - just saw your post

Oh, poor Maggie. LOTS of good thoughts headed her (and your) way.