The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Protective riding vests (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/protective-riding-vests-33752/)

questionable 08-12-2009 04:40 PM

Protective riding vests

I did it ! I rode my sassy 6 year old , asked for a canter and was thrown like mashed potatoes from a plastic spoon..... splat.. We used to do that when we were kids , food fight , my mothers masked potatoes were the best ! lol
4 broken ribs and a broken collar bone. recovering nicely , thanks to my girl friend walkamile and her great suppers she has been bringing over. Sure has made it easy, I am on day 4 and already feeling better.
My question is,, what is a good protective riding vest as I know that is what I am going to want to wear next time in the saddle. I have another horse that will be the one I ride until Miss Ruby comes to an understanding that it is not polite to BUCK!

dynamite. 08-12-2009 06:58 PM

The tipperary ones are great! My best friend is not allowed on a horse without having hers on... her mom was in an accident a few years ago and she makes her kids wear them now whenever they ride. I've tried hers on before, and it is really comfy too! I highly suggest the tipperary vests.

MyBoyPuck 08-12-2009 07:38 PM

There are two good threads going on about vests. One is on the jumping forum and the other is on page two of this forum. By the way...ouch.

StormyBlues 08-12-2009 08:13 PM

I have a Tipp, and it's comfy alright, but not certified and it really won't help ya out to much. I am going to invest in a Rohdney Powell very soon, because my mom broke her spine in a riding accident and can't jump now, and I don't want that to happen to me.

MIEventer 08-13-2009 07:21 PM

Stay away from Tipperary's. They are not worth what their price tags are, and they are neither certified, nor approved through ASTM and BETA. Stay away from them, I wouldn't touch a Tipperary even if I were paid to use one. Forget it.

When looking for a Protective Riding Vest - make sure that the vest has the patches sewn directly onto the vest, stating ASTM Certified and BETA Level 3 *minimal* that way, you know that that line of vest has been tested, tried and proved to do it's job - which is protect you.

Any vest that has those stamps of approvals on it, is worth the purchase.

Walkamile 08-13-2009 07:31 PM

MIEventer, what is your opinion on this one? It says it's ASTM certified, but not sure about BETA Level 3.

Flex Rider Vest- Womens (Equine - Horse Tack Supplies - Safety - Vests)

kitten_Val 08-14-2009 07:22 AM

Does anyone know ANY store (except on-line) selling Rohdney Powell? I tried to find in my area to try and no success. Have a feeling now you can get one only in on-line store... :(

MIEventer 08-14-2009 08:10 AM

Walkamile - that is the same exact vest that I have and use. It is both ASTM Certfied and does meet BETA minimal standards of protection - which is level 3.

My vest has both patches sewn onto the vest itself - the ASTM certification and the BETA LEVEL 3 *level 3 is purple*

I love that vest, I know it is going to do its' job. At first I found it restricting, but the more I used it, the more comfortable it becomes and I soon forget that it is even on when I do use it for CC.

Walkamile 08-14-2009 04:01 PM

Excellent. I liked the price too ( :lol: ) since my wallet has taken a hit vet wise for T as of late.

Going to our local tack store tomorrow and see if they carry it or one similar with the same safety ratings. If not I'll order it.

Thanks!

eventryder 08-16-2009 12:02 AM

I just got my Rodney Powell Elite Pro and LOVE IT. Super comfortable and I thought it was quite lightweight for a BETA/ASTM vest. I had to custom order as I'm quite tall but slim, so none of the off the shelf vests came close to fitting. Fits way better then my tipperary did.