The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   MouthWash experience (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/mouthwash-experience-337866/)

barrelbeginner 01-01-2014 01:47 PM

MouthWash experience

My farrier came out yesterday and said that Sunny's hocks are a bit puffy and the tendon is a bit 'loose' , part of the reason why he twists so much. He recommended shoes ✔️ . Got shoes. Also a chiro visit.. Working on that.. And last...

Listerine mouth wash rubbed on his hocks twice a day before and after a ride. Saying that it has the same effects as tightening up gums.. Something close to that..

Anyone ever heard of this.. ? He said the mouthwash would also help with the swelling and help him relax. .. I'm giving it a try.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chevaux 01-01-2014 01:53 PM

I suspect it might be the alcoholic content of the mouth wash that is doing it (if anything - don't know for sure). It would act as an astringent which would help reduce fluid build up which would in turn help the joint feel more comfortable and then the joint would be used closer to how it was meant to be used. I think there used to be an astringent compound of some sort that was made by Absorbine - to be used on horses' legs for the same purpose.

rookie 01-01-2014 05:34 PM

Honestly, I think your farrier is well intentioned but I would call a vet. Your farrier probably knows a lot but medical advice is best left to those who attended medical school.

I don't understand that if the tendon is lax (loose) than how is listerine going to tighten it? I ask this simply because a tendon is to my knowledge a lot like a rubber band. Once stretched beyond its capacity it is likely to either break or not contract as usual. The listerine might reduce swelling but it would not tighten anything. The way it would "tighten" gums would be to eliminate bacteria that would create plaque and bacteria in the mouth thus allowing the gums to tighten themselves because they are "healthier". It would do nothing to the tendons and ligaments, largely because the only tendon or ligament in the mouth is the periodontal one that holds teeth in the mouth. If you were looking for a product to reduce swelling and thus "tighten" things than I would look at an equine product. I would also look at hock boots for before or after rides. Those would support the tendon during the stress. Are you supposed to wrap the listerine hocks?

If your horse is having hock troubles than I would look into figuring out exactly what those troubles originate from is it a tendon or is it a joint/arthritis issue.

barrelbeginner 01-01-2014 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rookie (Post 4427330)
Honestly, I think your farrier is well intentioned but I would call a vet. Your farrier probably knows a lot but medical advice is best left to those who attended medical school.

I don't understand that if the tendon is lax (loose) than how is listerine going to tighten it? I ask this simply because a tendon is to my knowledge a lot like a rubber band. Once stretched beyond its capacity it is likely to either break or not contract as usual. The listerine might reduce swelling but it would not tighten anything. The way it would "tighten" gums would be to eliminate bacteria that would create plaque and bacteria in the mouth thus allowing the gums to tighten themselves because they are "healthier". It would do nothing to the tendons and ligaments, largely because the only tendon or ligament in the mouth is the periodontal one that holds teeth in the mouth. If you were looking for a product to reduce swelling and thus "tighten" things than I would look at an equine product. I would also look at hock boots for before or after rides. Those would support the tendon during the stress. Are you supposed to wrap the listerine hocks?

If your horse is having hock troubles than I would look into figuring out exactly what those troubles originate from is it a tendon or is it a joint/arthritis issue.

I think that is what I ment.. I was a bit tired this morning.. You're right, not sure how it would tighten the tendon either. I think my farrier ment it would just reduce swelling and help him feel a bit better..

Also, my next paycheck is going towards a chiro visit and maybe some hock boots:)