The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bow + The Lay Down??

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Barrelracer Up 
#1 ·
Ok, so, I'm teaching Spirit to bow and I'm using Stacey Westfall's video to do it. When he's completely soild with the bow, I'd like to teach him to lay down. Stacey Westfall uses the 2 knee bow to transition into the lay down, but she doesn't mention how to do it with the regular bow. I'd rather have him bow with one knee instead of with 2.

So, for everyone that has taught their horse(s) to lay down, how did you do it? Can you transition from the 1 knee bow to the lay down? If so, how??

#2 ·

Watch Eric Bravo's video. I haven't heard of him before, but this is the way I was taught to proceed. You've already got your horse to bow, so you'll turn his head opposite the bent knee and he should come down on his own. Then, of course, you'll have to give him a cue.

#6 ·
I taught my appy to kneel when I bumped his shoulder and lay down when I bumped his girth while he was kneeling.

I had to teach him those cues after my farrier came by to trim his feet and Katumba laid down when his young helper was picking his feet clean. Terry said it was so funny, kid was going, "Pumba, Pumba, get up Pumba." Oppps :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.