The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Teens Supporting your own horse. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/teens-supporting-your-own-horse-33827/)

rodeogirl309 08-13-2009 04:35 PM

Teens Supporting your own horse.

Let start here: I have dreamed of owning my own horse for as long as I can remember. I've been thinking a lot lately, and kind of came up with an idea.

As a family (4 person family), we cannot financially afford a horse. So, if I want one, I have to pay 100% for everything (well, possible exceptions..). I currently work at 4 different local barns when the BO's go out of town. During the summer (3 months) I usually work a total of 4-5 weeks, earning around $400 bucks. I also work there a little during the school year while they go on 3 day trips. Now, I know that will not support a horse. But, I have money saved up already to buy a decent horse. I know buying the horse and the cost of keeping one is completely different. I completely understand that. I will be getting my license in a short while, so I will be able to work more w/o bugging my parents to drive me everywhere. It's pretty easy to pick up jobs at farms around here, so I'm not worried about trying to find a job. I'm a hard worker when I have my mind set to something, and I have 9+ years of horse experience. I originally had saved up my money to buy a truck that I want, but I thought about it and I would rather use my money to get a horse, and have to drive my parents old clunker car :lol:

I would love to buy a 3 year old quarter horse train it, and possibly show him/her. I would have to board some place, and that would be around $350 a month. But, if I were to find a barn where I could work off some board, I could afford it.

I guess why I'm posting this is to get everyone's opinion. For those who own your own horse, how much (monthly) does it cost for the care? I know the farrier and vet would be the biggest bills. Now, if I did go through with this and got in a debt hole, I understand that I would have to sell my horse. That would be tough, but It would be best for both of us.

Wow, kudos & cookies for everyone who read my novel :D All opinions appreciated!

ponyz 08-13-2009 04:46 PM

Hey I know where your coming from. Im the same way. Well It would all depend where you board your horse and if you have full or self care. And it also depends on where you live in the country.

Spastic_Dove 08-13-2009 04:47 PM

Im a teen (now 20 so i guess not) who supports my horse. I moved out when I was 16 and he came with me. It sucks. I love him to death and wouldnt trade him for the world but its not easy at all. I currently have $23 in my banking account and have been living off of noodles and hard boiled eggs because of my horsey bills. Obviously it is a lot easier if you are not paying for rent, insurance, too but its still hard work. I would recommend you really think about it. Are you planning on going to college or moving out any time soon? Will you be able to afford emergancy vet bills and showing on top of general care? What if you lose your job or can't work for some reason?

rodeogirl309 08-13-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove (Post 377095)
Are you planning on going to college or moving out any time soon? Will you be able to afford emergancy vet bills and showing on top of general care? What if you lose your job or can't work for some reason?

College-Yes, then I would either lease him out or sell.
Emergency vet bills- Now that's one that my parent's may help with.
Showing- Only if I have the spare cash around, not a top priority.
Lose Job- Lease or sell.

themacpack 08-13-2009 04:52 PM

If you can keep the horse barefoot, that will save some on the farrier side of things. We pay $50 for a trim on our horse. The vaccination farm-call for her with a "well-horsey" check was $133. She will be having another visit for a float tomorrow - was quoted right around $100 for that as well. Worming will depend on the schedule you choose/the barn requires - and may or may not be part of the board.
Then there is the matter of tack......
We have been fortunate so far and have not faced an emergency, but it is wise to be tucking some $$$ away for the rainy day fund in case something does come up that requires an unexpected vet/farrier visit.

farmpony84 08-13-2009 04:54 PM

I bought my horse as a teen. I was working at Jamesway (kind of like a walmart type store). I made around $75-$100 per week depending on my hours. I think it was like 3 days a week from 6-10 and then one weekend day that was 6-8 hours. I bought my horse for $500 and then paid his board/feed. I couldnt afford to keep him at a "real" boarding facility but I found a place to pasture board for $115 per month and then I had to feed everyday. so my entire $400ish dollars that I earned as a high school student were pretty much going to the horse. I'd have about $50-$100 to play with each month. I had a rough time keeping shoes on him and had to save for yearly shots. Emergency bills my parents had to cover...

rodeogirl309 08-13-2009 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themacpack (Post 377102)
Then there is the matter of tack......

I already have tack....hehe. Saddle,bridle,pads,boots. Bought for horse I leased :-P

ETA: Would buying a horse under $1,000 and do some of my owne training save me money? Or would it benefit me more to spend a little more on the actual buying part of the horse to get a more trained one? I like the idea of buying the cheaper horse, because then you have money to use to use for the training aspect.

I've been looking on horsetopia.com and there are some nice deals.....

rodeogirl309 08-13-2009 05:05 PM

Here two that I like:
Quarter Horse For Sale, Kentucky, Taylorsville Gorgeous! Could turn her into a nice show horse.
Quarter Horse For Sale, Indiana, Nashville Not a top choice, but could turn into something.

themacpack 08-13-2009 05:09 PM

Seeing the area you are looking in - have you seen the posts from tinaray? She is in the KY/OH area and is desperate to sell her little mare.

themacpack 08-13-2009 05:11 PM

http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sal...sap-due-33661/