The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   How often do you NEED training? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/how-often-do-you-need-training-33889/)

farmpony84 08-14-2009 02:06 PM

How often do you NEED training?

Right now I am taking lessons on a weekly basis. There is a trainer 2 hours away that is really good. I was wondering if it could be beneficial to take a lesson maybe twice a month instead... I wonder would I get more out of it, this guy is a much higher level trainer... I don't know... just wondering.

themacpack 08-14-2009 02:11 PM

I think it really depends on what your end goal is.

andysgagirl 08-14-2009 06:20 PM

As long as you can keep practicing what your trainer has taught you in between your bi-monthly visits I would think it would be fine. You may have to move faster during your lessons and have alot of things to work on at home. It might help you become more confident in yourself, which always impoves your riding skills and your horses attitude.

You could always go back to weekly lessons if the new trainer didn't work out :-)

MIEventer 08-14-2009 06:39 PM

Personally myself, I have to take weekly lessons, if not twice a week. Reason being is that I definately need eyes on the ground - not just anyone, but educated eyes. Reason is because I pick up too many bad habits, and I need that educated person there to correct me and aid me in any way possible to keep me going forward in our progress and education.

I tried the "high level" coach once a month, and it was not working for me. I would go home with all this knowledge and try to apply it - but because I didn't have the eyes on the ground to correct me, I was riding incorrectly beacuse I didn't realize the facts. So when I went back to my lesson the next month, I had to be reaquainted with what I was taught the month previous.

What I suggest is this - this works wonders for me and I love it. Well, I mean it works well for me - - - take your weekly lessons, and ride in clinics as much as you possibly can.

Clinics, clinics, clinics are amazing opportunities to ride under very talented riders. Have someone there video tape your ride, so that you can take it home and studdy it, and you will also have your weekly coach to go over it with you, to continue forward with your education and progress - all the while, throwing in these extra ingredients from your clinitians to make the end result perfect.

boxer 08-14-2009 06:51 PM

I think it depends on how well you retain the things you are taught and how well you can apply them when you are on your own riding. If you are good at practising things in between then bi-monthly would be ok.

sandsarita 08-16-2009 01:39 PM

I used to do this quite a bit, and will be going back to it again. (The only trainers I trust are 3 - 6hrs away right now unless there are soem hidden gems I haven't been able to find.) I have had great success with long distance trainers. When I would go to the lessons, I would have a specific problem I was working on, and have them show me how to correct it. I would also have them look at what I had been working on for the past couple of weeks and see how I had improved and what I still had to work on. Be prepared to work your behind off, and know that if you haven't put in the work there is no reason to do that two hour drive.

To me, you'll end up being a much better rider than if you always have somebody watching over you. You have to make decisions yourself, and figure out the consequences, both good and bad. You'll be less afaid to make mistakes, and to be a more aggressive rider (in a good way). Best of luck to you, and out of curiosity who are you looking at riding with?

dashygirl 08-16-2009 02:15 PM

I think it depends on how YOU feel, what YOUR goals are and what you feel your HORSE needs. Everyone is different, every horse is different.

Bi-monthly lessons could work well for you IF you work well independently. For some, it's harder to find motivation to practice if they're not working with someone twice a week.

dressagebelle 08-16-2009 03:00 PM

Personally if you have the money, I would continue to take some lessons from your current trainer, unless you are unsatisfied with them, to get the eyes to catch problems ect., and then go to the new trainer on occasion, to help you move up faster, if that is your goal. It is very beneficial to learn from different trainers, because none of them see the exact same way, so some things that might be passed over by one trainer that could become a problem may be caught by another. One reason clinics with good trainers are a good idea. Even if all you do is audit one. A trainer I worked with took frequent lessons with Hilda Gurney, but also did lots of clinics with some of the top Olympic dressage trainers/coaches. She always learned different things from the different trainers, and took their advice, and melded it together to what worked for her, and what made her a better rider and now trainer.

kathryn 08-16-2009 03:17 PM

Could you afford to do maybe twice a month with this trainer and continue your weekly ones with your old trainer? Or maybe trade off each week which trainer you see.

farmpony84 08-16-2009 03:51 PM

,,,I'm not sure how my current trainer would feel about me taking from another trainer... I geuss I'm going to have to chat with her about it.... not really sure how well that will go over...