The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Rubbing Tail! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/rubbing-tail-3389/)

Rye 09-17-2007 12:34 AM

Rubbing Tail!

Hey!

My mare is rubbing her tail alot! The top of it is almost completly bare. what can I do to get it to grow back?!??!?

i've wormed her twice, and the vet is coming out this week so I have the health problem out of the way...

Frog 09-17-2007 01:15 AM

Unfortuntely there is nothing really that you can do apart from give it time! :cry:

If she was rugged I would suggest that if the rug has a tail flap then get that satin lined.

Good luck

meggymoo 09-17-2007 03:05 AM

Hi,
Sounds like it could possibly be sweet itch. Does she rub anywhere else?

Xanadu 09-17-2007 02:40 PM

When is the last time you wormed her? Also, have you cleaned her udder? Those are two reasons a mare might rub her tail.

Rye 09-18-2007 02:10 PM

I did clean her udder sat. when i gave her a bath, but that was the 1st time, I just bouight her and she was and still is in awful shape. The last time I wormed her was three weeks ago, and two months before that. She's due, I'll get it done soon.

I consisdered sweet itch because she has lost a lot of hair all over her face, her nose is always peeling to.... she is a paint with a partially white face so I thought that might be it. But my other paint mare has even more white on her face and she has lost a lot of hair and isn't peeling.... but I can't decide if its that or not because the only lace she is rubbing is her tail... but like I said the vet is coming out soon... he'll clear up in questions I would have.... the reason I posted this on here is my dad won't let me have the vet come out, he didn't think they needed it.... i finally convinced him by saying I'd pay for it myself.... but i think i'm going tto ahve to digin to my mission/savings fund....

anyways, thanks for the replys,

oh and she isn't rugged

crackrider 09-20-2007 11:22 PM

Maybe you could put a bandage or something on her tail to stop her rubbing any new hairs that are growing but this is only a short term solution.
Ask a vet.

giget 09-21-2007 11:07 PM

i put oil on my horses tail when he rubbed it and it grew back pretty fast it was an old wives tale solution that my dad knew dont ask me how it worked though

Vidaloco 09-27-2007 08:16 AM

I use some stuff called MTG. It smells awful and is kinda greasy but it stops my mare from rubbing her tail. Follow the directions and do a spot check to make sure she isnt alergic as I have read about horses breaking out in hives from it. I also clean between her udders just about every day (she insists on it) it can get pretty gunky down there quick. I just use my fingers to scrap out the crud no need for a whole bath.
I want to add that you should probably start using a sunscreen on her white parts. There are many fly sprays coat conditioners etc that have a sunscreen in them check the labels.

ahearn 11-30-2007 09:07 PM

MTG....Important

This is the most AWESOME product EVER made! Thanks Vidalco! You suggested it a while back in one of your past posts and I bought it. I used it on my Paso Fino/QH with Sweet itch and tail rub. Incredibly , it made hair grow back in 1 week!! After 2 weeks 3 inches had grown back and the sweet itch was GONE!!! I tried it on the tail where he was rubbing it off, and it cleared up within 3 weeks and the tail looks much better, No, it doesn;t smell great, but it doesn't smell bad. AND it repels mosquitoes which are HORRIBLE around here (TEXAS) even in Nov/Dec. This is a grea product for sweet itch, girth itch, scratches, ANYTHING!! Has been around for EVER and was originally created for humans with dandruff in the early 1900's. It can be used on any animal or human! Good luck!

Vidaloco 12-01-2007 06:56 AM

Re: MTG....Important

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahearn
This is the most AWESOME product EVER made! Thanks Vidalco! You suggested it a while back in one of your past posts and I bought it. I used it on my Paso Fino/qh with Sweet itch and tail rub. Incredibly , it made hair grow back in 1 week!! After 2 weeks 3 inches had grown back and the sweet itch was GONE!!! I tried it on the tail where he was rubbing it off, and it cleared up within 3 weeks and the tail looks much better, No, it doesn;t smell great, but it doesn't smell bad. AND it repels mosquitoes which are HORRIBLE around here (TEXAS) even in Nov/Dec. This is a grea product for sweet itch, girth itch, scratches, ANYTHING!! Has been around for EVER and was originally created for humans with dandruff in the early 1900's. It can be used on any animal or human! Good luck!

Your welcome, not sure if I would use it on myself YUCK I would have to be desperate.