The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   I need an indestructable stable blanket! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/i-need-indestructable-stable-blanket-339/)

calibug 01-15-2007 11:32 PM

I need an indestructable stable blanket!

I am looking for a durable stable blanket. My Arabian, Allonte think its a fun game to tear his blankets into tiny little pieces. I have gone thu dozens of blankets and have yet to find the "indestructable" one. Any advice or info is very appriciated.
Thanx!

barnrat 01-15-2007 11:43 PM

I forget what its called...I heard it was really good though.....Maybe Raini could help....(Sarah! I am talking about the blankets that Tango, Tiffany, and Dominga have, Misery also has the same brand blanket....)

If Raini does not help then I will find out what kind of blanket it is! :D

calibug 01-16-2007 12:13 AM

Thanks for the help! :D

kristy 01-16-2007 10:24 AM

Have you checked for a high number denier? Do you know about this? I can go into detail to help if you'd like.

child in time 01-16-2007 02:02 PM

put some toys in his box, or give him a little more food to occupate him with something else.

barnrat 01-16-2007 02:51 PM

Kristy go into more detail...I have never heard of that. :oops:

kristy 01-17-2007 12:02 AM

Sure!

Denier is a measure of linear density for fabris. Basically meaning, how much fabric used and how tight and well the fabric was made.

When looking at blankets, you will look at the description saying something such as: Medium turnout, water resistant, 640 denier 300 polyfill. The higher the denier number, the stronger the fabric. I have seen denier numbers range from 200-1640. 200 being a weak, cheap fabric that will rip easily and probably not suitable for turnout; and 1640, a very strong fabric very suitable for turn out and difficult to rip.

Stable blankets, in general, have a lower denier number. It is normally expected that the horse doesn't need an extremely strong fabric for just their stall. The OP could try a turnout blanket rather then stable blanket. Also, pay attention to nylon straps, strong and reliable buckles, seams coated in wax or a protectant against deterioration caused by water, and the correct polyfill. Nylon is an extremely strong material, very difficult to break, which is ideal for a blanket. Buckles that are rust resistant are a plus. The seams are made of thick thread sewn well to hold the blanket together. Over time, water rotts fabrics and tears them down. Having some protection such as wax, a water repellant, on the seams protects the threads from deterioration. A soft liner, the part on the inside that touches the horse, should be soft and need not to worry about it's durability. I also enjoy water proof or at least water resistant fabrics. Of course for turn out, but also since the fabric has been pre-treated against water - once again protecting from damage due to water/other chemicals.

And polyfill. Polyfill generally ranges from lightweight, medium weight and heavy weight. If you have questions on which to chose, ask away!
The one thing I want to add is not using sheets as a winter blanket. Sheets offer no warmth. They keep the horse dry, yes, but tend to make them colder. Explanation - A horse's winter fur will 'fluff' up on purpose. This creates a barrier to keep body heat from escaping the fur and keeping the horse warm. When a horse wears a sheet and the fur is not allowed to fluff, the horse looses the barrier resulting to the body heat being lost.

Hopefully that helped.

barnrat 01-17-2007 12:25 AM

yay Kristy! wow! you always know how to help!

savepitbulls 01-17-2007 12:17 PM

You get what you pay for in most cases. :wink: Some horses will shred them regardless of the quality. Sounds like your horse is bored. I like the suggestion of toys in the stall. Or better yet, less time in the stall and more time outside if that's possible.

kristy 01-17-2007 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnrat
yay Kristy! wow! you always know how to help!

:D