The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (
-   -   Critique my new horse's conformation? (don't be shy!) (

roro 08-14-2009 09:10 PM

Critique my new horse's conformation? (don't be shy!)
I got him in June and showing in September. He is 5 years old Swedish/dutch WB cross but registered as Swedish. He is 16.3 hands. He is a big mover and needs more work balancing in canter circles. I have never owned a 5 year old before so I am wondering if horses get more balanced with age and such. Anyways, give me the coldest hearted detailed critique you have!
(sorry the pictures are big)
These pictures were taken in July and I believe he has gotten a little more muscle in his hindquarters. Critique please!

roro 08-15-2009 04:24 PM

Anybody? please?

RedRoan 08-15-2009 04:42 PM

Well I don't know much about the breed. But I would say he has a small shoulder, and a straight back (might even a little bit of a jumpers hump happening?). But I loooovee the feet. They are not dinner plates but wow... talk about big! I think I am in love haha.

MyBoyPuck 08-16-2009 09:59 PM

I'm no expert on confo. I can tell you that their balance does improve with age and training. My 5 year old couldn't make it one lap around the ring on his right lead when I first got him. Now he can go all day and he's scoring 8's at dressage shows a year later.

The only thing I see with your horse is the heels seem very low, or he needs more foot altogether. A farrier would know more. I think he looks very nice otherwise.

mckenna310 08-22-2009 12:44 AM

love him!

equiniphile 08-22-2009 02:21 PM

He has a long neck that could make him a potential jumper