The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Too old to jump? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/too-old-jump-339266/)

strideBIG 01-03-2014 04:07 PM

Too old to jump?

I have 2 horse that can be ridden and the other is a foal. One of them is Scarlet, a 15 year old high strung thoroughbred and the second is a 8 year old quarter horse, her name's Texas. Scarlet was a great jumper when she 13 and 14 but she is recently acting weird. She has a long stride but whenever we approach a jump her stride shortens, and feels as if she's hopping like a bunny, then she does a very awkward jump. Also when I am putting her saddle pad on her back or her blanket she pins her ears and try's to nip me. I think she is probably having back pain or other pain in her back area, and I'm having a chiropractor come in soon, but can't afford it at the moment. Is that a sign that she's too old and should stop jumping and stick with ground work? Thanks.

CandyCanes 01-03-2014 04:17 PM

Shes still a spring chicken yet... Sure shes only had half her life so far! Shes so not too old to jump. Most Grand Prix show jumpers are way older than that as it takes that long to get to that level. Same with a lot of **** eventers. She is most likely having back pains.

horselovinguy 01-03-2014 04:38 PM

Sounds more like you have other issues going on...
Does she have a sore, under her girth line, in the folds of her girthline, a wither rub, a rub mark on her back, a ill-fitting saddle pinching her...
Could she have developed ulcers or now has ulcers large enough they cause her pain?

She is telling you, warning you the only way she can that something is wrong...
Get the vet out and start investigating why her attitude has suddenly changed not with just the riding but the tacking up part too...
Horses do not normally snap and threaten when you lay their blanket on their back, maybe a saddle pad on them if they are witchy...
This mare, you refer to "she", has an issue with something...

I would stop riding her till the vet comes out and checks her out not knowing if what you could be doing is making it worse, although her attitude sounds as if she is getting crankier in her threats...

Better to be safe and have a vet look-see and diagnosis than sorry you ignored Scarlet's actions and her trying to tell you....

jmo...

2BigReds 01-03-2014 05:47 PM

This sounds like a pain issue and not age. I would definitely stop riding until you get a professional out there. Also keep in mind that if her back isn't the problem, you could be spending even more money by having a chiro out first. Normally that's the route I take, but if you're being conscious about how much you're spending I would suggest to have the vet out as soon as you can afford it and skip the chiro bill. Many vets will also take payment plans if you talk to them, especially if you have a good relationship with yours already. I haven't heard of any chiropractors that do, though they may exist. Best of luck to both of you!

Yogiwick 01-04-2014 02:16 AM

To respond to your question directly. She is not too old to jump though all horses age differently, if she is healthy and doesn't have any specific issues that will make it worse. That said I would NOT jump her, and not work her either, walk around or maybe even just give her time off, until everything is resolved. It does sound like she is pain and it may be her jumping days are over, but either way you need to figure out what is going on first. Check saddle fit, check for a sore back, chiro, then vet.

strideBIG 01-04-2014 10:49 PM

I'm going to do all the things you all have suggested, like double checking her saddle fit, and getting a chiro and vet out. The good news is we're having a chiro come out in 1-2 weeks, and I don't think she has an ulcer, (I have done some research) but I'll try and find out if she does or doesn't. Thank you all!

freia 01-05-2014 06:50 PM

My daughter is jumping a 28 year old in her lessons. That horse is da bomb over jumps. I was jumping my kid-pony until I sold her when she was 25 - no problem. Somethings not right, but age isn't that "something".