The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique Video's please. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-videos-please-33942/)

Endless Journey Girl 08-15-2009 12:41 PM

Critique Video's please.
 
Video's of my jumping at my first schooling show. I know I shouldn't be making excuses but keep in mind that the horse I am riding is a schooling horse, she had been used all this week for the horse camp and was being ridden for 4 hours each day which she is not used to. Also, unfortunately she's a lot of peoples favorite horse, not just mine. She was being used by someone in every class, sometimes twice in the over fences. By the time she got through all the under saddle classes, and the cross rail divisions, she was absolutely covered in sweat and exhausted. We took her saddle off, sponged her and gave her some water to help her out before I rode her.. but she was still extremely tired and it was taking everything I had just to keep her from breaking into a trot this is also why she had rails down, I very rarely have a rail down riding her, especially over 2ft jumps. Therefore my EQ isn't exactly at its best. But I'd still like to know what you think, I know I'm squeezing with my knee, my leg is slipping back and I've lost my heels.. this is also making my lose my balance over the jumps. Anything else you can see though?




Oh and yes I was supposed to trot into the 2nd jump, this was a medal class, unfortunately she was supposed to canter out but I couldn't get enough pace before the jump for her to be able to do that.

roro 08-15-2009 05:51 PM

You did pretty well, especially considering that the horse sounds overworked! 4 hours a day is a lot, I think this horse needs less riders. Because he was going slow (obviously because of the work he had done already) you stiffened up your seat, upper back and arms in an attempt to drive your horse faster (it especially shows in the first video at :40-:45). All in all you really seemed to know what you were doing going over those jumps!

Sunny06 08-15-2009 06:13 PM

Your lower leg slipped back a LOT.

Gillian 08-15-2009 09:28 PM

Heels down. Even on the flat you leg slips really far back. You want a straight line from your hip to your heel. Try standing in your stirrups and putting all your weight down into your heels, than sit back down and practice keeping them there. It'll take time but it'll help your leg stabilize so much. Haven't jumped in ages so I'll let someone else go into further details, but fixing your heel would help a lot of things.

Good luck!

Endless Journey Girl 08-15-2009 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunny06 (Post 378751)
Your lower leg slipped back a LOT.

I know! It's crazy, I didn't even realize it until I watched the video's myself. It's not just when going over jumps either, it's like the whole time. I honestly thinks it's at least a little because I was working so hard to keep her going. My legs don't normally look like that at all. I did fine in the under saddle class I actually placed first.. it was just over fences.

Endless Journey Girl 08-15-2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roro (Post 378737)
You did pretty well, especially considering that the horse sounds overworked! 4 hours a day is a lot, I think this horse needs less riders. Because he was going slow (obviously because of the work he had done already) you stiffened up your seat, upper back and arms in an attempt to drive your horse faster (it especially shows in the first video at :40-:45). All in all you really seemed to know what you were doing going over those jumps!

Yea I know, 4 hours is a lot, she's not normally ridden that much it's just because of the summer camp. I really think it was a dumb idea to have a show at the end of a week of camp. It was especially unfair to those of us who weren't in the camp and extremely unfair to the poor horses. I don't think the barn owner will make that mistake again.

Gillian 08-15-2009 09:35 PM

Maybe ask you trainer to holler at your whenever you leg slips back? For a while after i got back into riding from a year off I had a chair seat. I even asked my friend to yell at me when they saw my leg come too far forward, helped a lot. Also, noticed that you don't have much of a release over jumps. Since I believe you're still pretty new to jumping a crest release would be good for now. Bring your hands about halfway up her neck. What I see now is your hands just planted at the base of the neck, and they don't seem to move over jumps at all. Don't want to catch the horse in the mouth.

EDIT: Watched a video again. Watch your upper body after every jump. You kind of slump forward. Remember to sit tall and not fall forward onto your horse's neck.

Endless Journey Girl 08-15-2009 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gillian (Post 378971)
Heels down. Even on the flat you leg slips really far back. You want a straight line from your hip to your heel. Try standing in your stirrups and putting all your weight down into your heels, than sit back down and practice keeping them there. It'll take time but it'll help your leg stabilize so much. Haven't jumped in ages so I'll let someone else go into further details, but fixing your heel would help a lot of things.

Good luck!

I totally agree my legs were horrible and no heel at all, it's really strange because I won my flat class and this didn't happen then. Now that I'm starting a lease on a pony next month I'll actually be able to practice all the things my instructor has been trying to teach me. First think on the list will be a TON of two point work, at walk, trot and canter! I'm gonna start low again and work my way up really working on my position and stuff.

Gillian 08-15-2009 09:40 PM

^ Sounds good! :]

Endless Journey Girl 08-15-2009 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gillian (Post 378985)
Maybe ask you trainer to holler at your whenever you leg slips back? For a while after i got back into riding from a year off I had a chair seat. I even asked my friend to yell at me when they saw my leg come too far forward, helped a lot. Also, noticed that you don't have much of a release over jumps. Since I believe you're still pretty new to jumping a crest release would be good for now. Bring your hands about halfway up her neck. What I see now is your hands just planted at the base of the neck, and they don't seem to move over jumps at all. Don't want to catch the horse in the mouth.

EDIT: Watched a video again. Watch your upper body after every jump. You kind of slump forward. Remember to sit tall and not fall forward onto your horse's neck.

Yea I don't know why it slipped back so badly, normally its not that bad.. and my instructor wasn't there for the show she's gone on holidays so I didn't really have much help. I'll keep the release in mind for sure it must be the nerves at the show thats making me go back to some old bad habits. Yea I did slump over, I'd probably blame that on my legs/heels.. no support from the heels and legs then I have no balance! So after every jump I was on her neck.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0