The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Beginner.. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/beginner-33984/)

kandice 08-15-2009 09:52 PM

Beginner..

I will come out and completely admit that I'm new at owning a horse. I'm 22 and have only ridden a few horses, but I couldn't pass this horse up, she wasn't being very well taken care of, no attention and for also sentimental reason, I felt she was linked to my husband, he was supposed to get her for me before he died.. May be a stupid reason to get a horse when I don't know them very well.. but I've got to start somewhere, right?

I've worked with her almost every day for almost 4 weeks since I've had her and got on her today and panicked and got right back off. She started throwing her head around and I quickly realized that I wasn't confident at all and I know she sensed that. So I don't want to mess anything up between her and I because she's gotten to where she trusts me to be around her so I'm going to call some places on Monday and start lessons. What are some other ways to gain more of her trust other than riding her until I feel confident in myself to get back on her? I walk her nightly, brush her, and I'm with her for a few hours every night just letting her graze and being near her just so she can get used to me.

Thank you for any suggestions! :-)

Domino13011 08-15-2009 09:55 PM

Make sure your the one that feeds her. Haha she will start to trust you fast ;)

NorthernMama 08-15-2009 10:26 PM

Be patient. You need time to learn and she needs time to adjust to her new environment and owner. I find it takes a horse a full year to be completely secure in a new home, but you will find leaps and bounds of changes in her over the next few months. Especially if she was not well fed. Beware, she may get to be more energetic as her health improves!

Without knowing the horse, there are many different ways to get at this, but spending all that time with her is a great thing to do. Do with her whatever you are confident with. But don't let her ever bully you in the least. Make sure she respects your space at all times. Don't ask her to do something unless you are sure of exactly how you are asking her and exactly what you expect -- consistency makes a horse AND owner more confident.

Also, spending time with others and their horses -- listening and watching. If you have someone you trust that could ride your new horse, that would also be a good idea or are you taking the lessons with your new horse?

Just some thoughts. Good luck.

kandice 08-15-2009 10:53 PM

I'm really thinking hard about taking her to the lessons with me, just so we can learn together. She's only been ridden once since last November, so I'm not confident in how she'll do with someone else on her.. but the people who owned her previously said they'd come out and help me with her. They talk a lot about it but haven't come out yet.

I'm most definitly the one who feeds her every night and treats as well! =] She always looks forward to them, she waits by the gate for me until I come home! haha.

I'm ready to do anything I can, it's okay if it takes a lot of time. I'm a patient person when it comes to my babies. =]

PaintHorseMares 08-16-2009 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kandice (Post 379013)
I'm ready to do anything I can, it's okay if it takes a lot of time. I'm a patient person when it comes to my babies. =]

I believe you have the perfect attitude, patience and flexibility. Many folks rush the process in order to get a 'return' on their investment as quickly as possible, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with bringing her along slow. As with any horse, some days will be better than others, but with time, consistency, and work, progress will come.

NorthernMama 08-16-2009 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kandice (Post 379013)
I'm really thinking hard about taking her to the lessons with me, just so we can learn together. She's only been ridden once since last November, so I'm not confident in how she'll do with someone else on her..

All the more reason to have a confident, skilled rider on her for the first few times -- give the horse more confidence and you as well. The horse may well need a refresher and you aren't in a position to do it yet. I wouldn't throw just anybody on her. A good, solid rider that can handle her, isn't nervous and can then give you some tips on her behavior. That along with your lessons and your golden patience should do the trick.

Good luck.

kandice 08-16-2009 04:59 PM

Thank you all very much for all the suggestions! I'm going to wait and let my husbands uncle ride her and get her used to it again.

Alicia 08-17-2009 12:52 AM

I agree that it's a good idea to have a confident rider to ride her. Some things to try to gain your confidence and her confidence in you would be different ground manner exercises that require her to listen to you (what you said you're doing now is fantastic). Such as asking her to lower her head for you to put the halter or bridal on, get her to pick up her feet. There's an article of John Lyons called 'whoever moves first loses' that might give you some other ideas.
Good luck and I don't think that getting your horse was stupid no matter what the reason, as long as you take care of them (which it sounds like you most definately will)
Horse Training Tips for Free

kevinshorses 08-18-2009 05:13 PM

You should probably take lessons on an older bomb proof horse. You probably don't have the skil to correct what may need correcting on her. Green + Green = Black and Blue. I have told people that wanted to buy a two year old horse from me so thier ten yearold kid with no experience could "learn with it" that they should buy him some golf clubs then beat him with them till he was scared. Atleast then he wouldn't hate horses just golf and they could throw the golf clubs away. Remember that your horse is 1000lbs of basket case and don't get you or your horse hurt.

mom2pride 08-19-2009 10:20 PM

I think you're on the right track; definitely have someone with an experienced gentle hand work her undersaddle, until she is back into the swing of things; make sure she is responding well, and not arguing with the rider, or becoming aggitated before you even consider climbing on.

At the same time your horse is getting her lessons, I would be working on my own riding confidence on a lesson horse.

Good luck to both of you...It sounds like you'll be good partners in time!