The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Sigh ...... (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/sigh-340322/)

bkylem 01-04-2014 11:50 PM

Sigh ......

I realize that this is not a new experience, but it really gets me down at times and I sometimes have difficulty in starting fresh.

I have been making nice progress in my lessons and I always grade myself upon leaving (old habit), but lately I feel so out of control at times. I know what I'm supposed to do, but I'm simply not doing it in time. Like shifting from a post to a two point when going over sets of poles. Normally it is a smooth transition, but even that exercise is causing me to feel awkward. My instructor is great and she tells me that I'm over thinking and preparing mentally too much rather than replacing and just going within. Today she put me on the lunge and had me ride with my eyes closed and that really helped me to focus. I also need to lengthen my left leg and keep it extended down into the stirrup. I presently favor my right and it creates an oaf balance posture. I'm not entirely sure how to correct that, but I'm trying. Stretching, stretching , stretching.
Please don't consider this a rant. It just that I seem to make one step forward and two steps back lately in my lessons. The more I try not to over think, I think about over thinking. :)

Is this normal ?

waresbear 01-04-2014 11:54 PM

Aren't you taking lessons for your enjoyment? Enjoy it already and stop over analyzing it!

Ninamebo 01-05-2014 12:03 AM

Sometimes I will do the same- I think it's actually good that you have a bit of standard set for yourself to do well- but I think you need to relax a bit right now and just focus on the positive aspects of your lessons in order to help you enjoy them a bit more. Learning is really fun!

bkylem 01-05-2014 12:14 AM

Thanks
I do put a little too much pressure on myself and lose sight of the pleasure I get from it. Especially just being with the horses.

Stay close as I may need your reinforcements again. :)

horseNpony 01-05-2014 04:20 AM

I sometimes do the same, and if i begin overthinking ill usually start singing to myself. Yup, its a bit weird but it relaxes me so i can just go with the flow and enjoy what im doing :)

sarahfromsc 01-05-2014 07:30 AM

I think we all plateau. I know I do, and I think our horses can too. After a recent plateau where I was thinking of quitting my dressage lessons because of my frustration, which caused a lack of focus or something. All of a sudden my horse and I just started progressing really well, and quickly. However, I feel another plateau coming on.......lolol....usually happens when my trainer ups the ante on me.

KylieHuitema 01-06-2014 12:51 AM

Sing the Abc's when you start overthinking! That how I get through long, difficult, show prep practices. You can do it! Even in the show ring I sing to myself if I start making things difficult myself

QuietHeartHorses 01-09-2014 12:21 AM

I understand what you're going through. I have weeks when I ride really well, then weeks when I feel like a total mess. I just approach it the same way as I approach horse training. If I have trouble with anything, I take a step back, work on something simpler until I feel in control again, then move on.

I agree with waresbare, just have fun! Maybe take a few relaxing rides in between your lessons? And every once in a while, go stirrupless. It does amazing things for your legs.