The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Cutting corners (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/cutting-corners-34037/)

Heather Sutherland 08-16-2009 03:40 PM

Cutting corners

helo guys, i have a problem!
My favourite horse Dylan and me love going in the jumping field, hacks and everything, but when im in a lesson with him he cuts the corners, but only in canter. I know about using your legs, im just not sure how.
I will ask my intructor but i need public help to, im sure some of you have had, or HAVE this problem, do you? or am i not good a riding:-(:cry:

MyBoyPuck 08-16-2009 06:29 PM

Just about every lesson horse I ever rode tried that one. A few things could be going on. You might be unintenionally leaning into the corners. Make sure you're sitting square in the saddle. Point your shoulders where you want to go, but don't collapse the inside one. Another thing is to make sure you are supporting him with your inside leg. A nice soft, but firm leg at the inside girth for him to bend around and to tell him that he cannot fall further in than that leg goes. The last thing to look for is outside rein contact. If you have no outside rein, he's free to duck in whenever he wants. Your inside rein and outside leg work at as pair to set the boundaries for where he can go. Hope that helps.

jchunterjumper 08-27-2009 05:27 PM

yeah, my only comment would be to make sure that you are not collapsing your inside soulder. my horse will cut in if i callapse my shoulder. also make sure that your horse will move off your inside leg by sidepassing and stuff to get him off your leg. Hope it helps

1dog3cats17rodents 08-27-2009 05:32 PM

When a horse cuts corners, the natural respose it to pull your put outside rein and push the inner one against the horses neck. This makes your inner shoulder collapse and your body turn to the outside. You need to reverse this. Lift your inner shoulder, sponge the inside rein slightly away from the neck, and keep contact with the outside rein against the neck. bring your inside elbow to your hip, not your hip to your elbow.

By lifting your inner hip and shoulder and bringing them back, you free the horse to move around your inner leg into the corner

RideroftheWind 09-04-2009 03:43 PM

When you near the corner, look forward. Don't turn your head until you want your horse to turn. A lot of weight is in your head, and this could make all the difference. Also, open your shoulders, like you do when you're swimming. Don't let your inner shoulder collapse.
Push with your inside leg only, and remove all the slack from the inside rein. This forces the horse to stay in the corner.
Hope I was helpful. :)