The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   That horse could've been killed... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horse-couldve-been-killed-34054/)

tempest 08-16-2009 07:09 PM

That horse could've been killed...

Today at the Farigrounds I was showing at, some people were trying to load their yearling into their trailer. They had been at for over an hour and they finally resorted to brute force. They had someone hold the yearling's lead in the trailer and two people stood behind the colt. One person held a lunge whip and the other stood on the other side of the colt. The person with the lunge whipped him. They repeatedly whipped this colt. The colt still didn't get in the trailer. Five minutes later they decided to tie this colt's lead to the hook in the trailer and push him in. The looped a rope behind his butt and pushed while the person in the trailer pulled. The colt's hind legs ended up under the trailer and his front legs in it. He couldn't get his hind legs into the trailer and so he freaked out. He reared up, hit his head on the roof of the trailer, the rope prevented him from moving out of the trailer and knocked him off balance by preventing this movement. He then hit his head on both sides of the trailer. He laid down, halfin the trailer, half out. He refused to get up. 10 minutes later he's up and moving again and they try to get him into the trailer again, by whipping him. They eventually get him into the trailer.

Yes, I witnessed this, and yes, i wanted to so badly yell at them and give them a piece of my mind. Why didn't I? Because I'm a kid, and they were adults. Most adults won't listen to kids, but I'm telling you that all this did not go unoticed by everybody. My RI was there and she agreed with me. This was not the way to treat a horse.

The people didn't ask for help with their yearling so no one gave it to them.
But what really ticks me off is that the Humane Society probably won't do anything about it.

themacpack 08-16-2009 07:13 PM

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
While I understand why *you* said/did nothing, it is a bit upsetting to hear that none of the adults present stepped up and said something/offered some alternative ideas or assistance for the sake of the colt.

farmpony84 08-16-2009 09:02 PM

I have tried to help people w/ loading issues before and they usually get really irritated and cranky. You probably would have gotten your head chewed off for even offering. I'm sorry you had to witness that. There is a reason not everyone should own a young or green horse, without the experience they can really screw things up....

I'm sorry you had to watch it.