The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   snipping a horses tail (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/snipping-horses-tail-34083/)

Heather Sutherland 08-17-2009 03:25 AM

snipping a horses tail

I don't own my own horse yet, but i was wondering, do people like CUT horses tail, to shorten them and keep them away from dirt? And if so how? Can you just use normail scissor's, or do you need special scissors?
All suggestions are welcome :-)
Heather x

ThatNinjaHorse 08-17-2009 03:35 AM

yeh otherwise all their tails would be be dragging in the dirt! lol. Normal scissors are fine, and make sure you brush all the knots out first, so its even when its cut.

jody111 08-17-2009 04:14 AM

some people do some people dont...

I tend to bang my tail cause I prefer them that way :) but its a real preference... horses have been know to stand on the end of them so thats another reason to trim it

I cut it straight but on a slight angle so when the horse holds it tail up it looks dead straight....

I also tend to cut it a little shorter in winter so it grows back thicker in summer (Trick a friend taught me - as her tail was a bit thin at the bottom)

Oh yeah and I use scissors too :)

Fire Eyes 08-17-2009 06:42 AM

My STB has a tail that without cutting drags on the ground, so yes, I do cut it. But only a few inches off the ground so he can't stand on it. If it gets to the point of dragging it needs to be cut or put in a tail bag.

Normal scissors are fine. :)

dashygirl 08-17-2009 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Eyes (Post 380277)
My STB has a tail that without cutting drags on the ground, so yes, I do cut it. But only a few inches off the ground so he can't stand on it.

Yes, this is what I do. I'd say I give a trail trim every 3 months or so.
Brush the tail out really well first, then, I make a fist around the tail, run it all the way down to the bottom (to ensure I have all of the hairs in line) and snip a few inches off in a straight line (almost like you see the hair dresser cutting human hair, except they use their pointer and middle finger to hold the hair together, not their fist).

trvlingheart 08-17-2009 11:21 AM

I've never cut a tail before.. But my horses tails don't grow past their feet or drag on the ground.. I'd say if you don't feel cutting with sicissors is what your looking for, you can use thinning shears (like a hair dresser uses) and do the same that everyone above has talked about, that way it looks more natural by not having a straight cut across. With my horses a good mane/tail comb does the trick, it gets the knots out and pulls all the acess hair out that has been shed. Personally I'd never cut the tail really short just because it gets dirty, I've seen alot of people do it but you have to remember that is one of their only self defense against flys on their back, legs, butt, and even face.. something to think about. Also if you use a shosheen, leave in conditioner, or similar product in the tail it will keep from getting that dingy look because dirt and mud won't stick to the hair as easily.

sorelhorse 08-17-2009 11:22 AM

some people do, some dont...lol. arabians and saddlebreds dont, yet almost all other horses do, i know with my horse, in shows we want the tails to be about 2-3 inches off the ground, so we cut them, but maybe not as much:) be we use tailbags to keep it protected. When i cut his tail, i will wash it then brush it, get it all straight, and try my best with normal sicssors. If i remeber correctly, there is quite a few ways to cut a tail. look them up on google and see which one would fit your horses needs the best:)

Jillyann 08-17-2009 11:38 AM

I cut my mares tail just a tiny bit to trim it up and make it look less messy. Her tail is long, but doesn't drag on the ground.

riccil0ve 08-17-2009 07:53 PM

I trim tails every 3 months or so too. If you get rid of the icky dry stuff at the end, all the good whatever it is in their hair isn't trying to "heal" the icky dry stuff, and it gives it to the healthy hair, making the healthy hair healthier and fuller. =]

I use dashygirl's technique. Once I cut in a straight line, I then cut up towards the sky, and it makes the ends a little chopper and therefore, much more natural.