The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack Reviews (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/)
-   -   mad cow tack? pro rider tack? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/mad-cow-tack-pro-rider-tack-341594/)

bauchtanz 01-06-2014 06:44 PM

mad cow tack? pro rider tack?

Thoughts?

How about pro rider?
Like for breast collars and such.....

Saddlebag 01-14-2014 10:27 AM

Considering the cost of good well tanned leather, almost anything under $100 could be of questionable quality.

HnA Tack 02-13-2014 09:46 PM

Madcow does not seem to have much - if any - info about their products, and I find that strange & definitely questionable.

LadyChevalier 02-14-2014 12:42 AM

I have a mad cow show bridle and matching breast collar. From the companies website they said that only so many are made per set so it is guaranteed not to overly mass produced. The leather is Argentinian leather- not sure what kind of quality that would be but with a little oiling it is ready to go like any other piece of equipment. Everything works on it. I guess the only thing is that on the bridle along the cheek, the tooling does not match up perfectly on both sides but thats not a big deal- in fact most people wouldnt notice but I look close to details.... I am picky that way lol I havent put it on a horse due to weather and this winter being so miserable so I cant attest to durability yet.

IMO I see nothing wrong with their breast collars and bridles but personally would not buy a saddle from them if they made them due to them using argentinian leather and will most likely skimp out on other quality materials.

smrobs 02-14-2014 01:23 AM

I'm not familiar with either of those brands so I can't help you there, but I did want to mention that not every piece of quality tack is going to be $100+. The only thing in my tack room that cost more than $100 was my saddle and I don't buy poor quality tack...I just know what to look for.

OP, what kind of breast collar are you looking for?

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 02-14-2014 02:49 PM

LOL, Smrobs!

Are we talkin' new or used for $100 or less? :lol:

smrobs 02-14-2014 07:35 PM

I don't buy used tack either :wink:. The only exception to that rule for me is bits because they generally don't require as much specialized care as leather. If a bit hangs in a tack room or lays in a box for 10 years, just rinse off the dust and it's good as new (provided it hasn't rusted beyond all repair). Leather though, I don't trust other folk to take care of it the same way I do so it's just easier for me to buy new.

HOWEVER, I don't buy tack with bling and silver and jewels and full tooling either. It's all very utilitarian, but that's why I can get good quality at an affordable price.

I've always been of a mind that when people see me riding my horse they should think "Dang, that's a nice horse" instead of "Dang, that's a flashy bridle" LOL.

shezamagicillusion 03-02-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HnA Tack (Post 4760210)
Madcow does not seem to have much - if any - info about their products, and I find that strange & definitely questionable.

I have a madcow tack set and my friend has 2 of them and they are the best leather and quality I have ever owned and I have owned Circle Y and Tex Tan tack sets to match my saddles. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with a madcow set and especially not at their prices.:lol::lol::D

shezamagicillusion 03-02-2014 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bauchtanz (Post 4472634)
Thoughts?

How about pro rider?
Like for breast collars and such.....

I would definitely go with the Madcow. It is high quality tack.

tinyliny 03-02-2014 12:50 PM

I find it's much harder to find Western bridles that have as good a quality of leather as most English bridles. so often the western ones are very "cardboardy", and so full of bling that they end up rubbing raw spots on the horse's face. I am with smrobs; utilitarian!