The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   House breaking (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/house-breaking-341890/)

jackboy 01-07-2014 10:28 AM

House breaking

Need advice on breaking a year and a half old blue heeler to use bathroom outside never tried this before thank you

usandpets 01-07-2014 10:38 AM

When unsupervised, put them where they are to sleep. In a kennel or leashed to an object. As soon as you let them out of their "bedroom", take them outside to go potty. Instinct is not to go where they sleep unless they have to.

Let them outside every hour at first to go and slowly increase how long they are in.
Posted via Mobile Device

beau159 01-07-2014 10:52 AM

I'm not a puppy expert (my husband is) but we've got an 8 week old yellow lab puppy that we have been house training for the past 2 weeks.

We take her outside about every 45 minutes. Anytime she eats or drinks, we take her out shortly after. We'll say "Go outside?" when we are taking her out, so she learns what those words mean. And when she is outside, we will tell her to "Go potty!" so she knows what those words mean too.

At night, she stays in a small kennel. You don't want the kennel too large, because then they will do their business in a corner. If they have to lay in it (in a small kennel), then they won't go. We also make sure she has no food or water after 6 or 7 PM so it's not sitting in her belly when she goes in the kennel for the night.

She makes messes on the floor. She's a puppy; it's going to happen. We keep a VERY close eye on her at all times, but she is quick. When she makes a mess, we put her nose on top of it (don't actually stick her nose in it, like some people do, because I don't want to be washing her nose all day long), smack her on the head, and tell her NO! BAD! Then she gets put outside immediately as "punishment". We don't keep her outside very long right now, as temps are below zero and she doesn't have any fur to keep her warm, but she is just starting to get the hang of it. She made a mess this morning and she started whining as I was carrying her to the door. So hopefully soon she will understand she cannot do that in the house!

jackboy 01-07-2014 11:13 AM

Yeah that's what got me to this point it has gotten so cold I couldn't leave them outside

Saddlebag 01-07-2014 06:41 PM

Since it's a year and a half, get outside with it and take it to where other dogs may have marked. More than a few places. He'll start marking as well then reward him with a treat and a pat. This is a working breed and the more exercise he gets outside the better your chances of him using the outdoors.

jackboy 01-07-2014 10:33 PM

I have two females one is trained and one isn't they spend most all they time outside just gonna do it so when they do come in I'm not having to worry about it never tried to house train a dog before

PastureSongs 01-07-2014 11:08 PM

Please don't shove his nose in it and punish him. Don't punish him at all. A dog that's not housebroken doesn't know any better, and all screaming at them or hitting them will do is make them think you're mad at them for going to the bathroom, then they'll sneak off to do it.

Just watch him closely, don't let him sneak off. Take him out regularly and praise him for going outside. Be consistent.

beau, puppies can't even control their bladder until they're about 6 months old. What you're doing is the exact same thing as shoving a baby's nose in its diaper and screaming at it. It can't help it and doesn't know any better. If the dog is going in the floor, you are not watching it close enough. Stick your face in it and scream, then go back to watching the puppy properly.

Wolfetrap 01-08-2014 09:11 AM

I think lots of pics of your heeler will help us help you!!! TEEHEE!!! I'm obsessed with them!!! My boyfriend has a mix and has always had a heeler growing up. They are amazing, loyal, beautiful, ridiculously smart, frusterating, stubborn, quirky...and AMAZING AGAIN all rolled into one super cute package!!!! I'm sure I've been super helpful!!! I agree with PastureSongs!!

jackboy 01-08-2014 11:58 AM

I cant figure out how to upload photos even though ive done it in the past

beau159 01-08-2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastureSongs (Post 4483666)
beau, puppies can't even control their bladder until they're about 6 months old. What you're doing is the exact same thing as shoving a baby's nose in its diaper and screaming at it. It can't help it and doesn't know any better. If the dog is going in the floor, you are not watching it close enough. Stick your face in it and scream, then go back to watching the puppy properly.

I knew I'd get a response like this when I posted my reply.

I like that you added in with your own imagination that we scream at our puppy. Not the case.

Not everyone agrees with this method, but all of our past dogs been 100% house-trained and NEVER once went bathroom in the house (once they were trained). But it works for us.

The same way that some people think you should never hit a horse (for example if they bite or nip you). I smack my horses when they deserve it. And they don't bite. Ever. They know better. Different strokes for different folks.

The puppy will learn to know better too.

On a side note, bet you didn't know that when the police force trains K9 unit dogs, they will hold the dog up in the air by their collar and almost strangle the dog to death (anal glands blow) if the dog makes a mistake during training. I know this for a fact because I have a close friend on the K9 police force and that is what they do when they train the police dogs. Abuse? Maybe. But those dogs are VERY disciplined. And they can't ever mess up in their line of duty. Someone's life may be on the line.