The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse stuck in neutral or reverse

5K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  SuperStarsSugar 
#1 ·
I have a 3 year old filly that I have just started. Her big problem is that when you are in the saddle she refuses to go forward and if you just sit on her to get her used to you in the saddle she backs up. She will go forward fine as long as someone either leads her or just walks beside her but will not go on her own.

#4 ·
What are you trying to do to get her going forward?

Have you tried simply taking up one rein, and asking her to atleast 'move her feet'? If you can't get her going foward, atleast get her to unstick her feet, that way you don't have a problem later of "if I don't want to move, I don't have too". You have to control her feet, no matter if she doesn't want to move 'foward' or not.

#5 ·
^^ Good post.

Also, have you established forward motion from the ground and use a consistent cue like words or smooching that would easily transfer to the saddle?

When I have a young horse that is "stuck", I will generally take up one rein and bump with the outside leg while smooching and if that doesn't get their feet moving, a gentle pop on the outside butt (away from their head) with a bridle rein will usually do the job. But be prepared for a big jump if you use the rein and have never done it before. :D

Don't get frustrated, many young horses go through a stage like this. As long as her feet are moving, then you have control and it will just take some time before she figures out that it is more comfortable to line out and trot a bit as opposed to turning in little circles. Just keep at it and don't give up. ;)

#6 ·
My 3 year old has the same problem. She occasionally(especially on trail rides) will stop and turn refuse to to forward and she will turn herself and try and sidepass back home/to her friend. I can turn her back the way I want to go and she will do little baby rear pirouette things that would make a dressage horse amazed.If there is another person there they can grab on to the bridle and lead her and she has no issue but if they let go she starts again.

When this mare stops I start by just using my normal "go forward cue" and if she ignores that I gently start pulling her head to each side because eventually the horse will start walking to follow it's head. If that doesn't work or she starts sidepassing or backing I gently tap her with a crop if she ignores that the crop gets more harsh. This has yet to work for me.
You could probably have someone with a lunge whip or a flag stand behind your horse so it can't back and either tell them to use the whip to get the horse to move forward or try turning it's head.

#7 ·
When I start a colt and get on them for the first time I usually can get them moving by bumping my legs and wiggling from side to side and generally just being obnoxious until they move then I just ride like normal unless they stop then the wiggling and bumping start again. If that fails then I might use the rien on thier buts or turn little circles. another thing you could do is get someone else on a horse in the pen with you and let them start going and see if that encourages her to move out a bit.

#8 ·
There is also nothing wrong with just outwaiting her. She won't stand there till she dies so just sit on her back and bump a little with your legs until she moves.

#9 ·
Don't know if it was already said, I didn't really care to read many replies.

But, I'd say that she's just pushing your buttons, unless there is some ulterior motive for her to not move forward such as tack. When my horse wants to back up incessantly, I pull her backwards, because then she's doing what I want. So then she goes forward when I tell her to. There isn't a need to fight your horse, so, instead of LETTING her go back when she wants, MAKE her go back when she wants.

If you wear a breast collar, that may make her back up, I know a horse who wouldn't go forward with a breast collar, but once it was off she was fine!

#10 ·
I had the same problem.

Let her back up, don't punish her for it. She doesn't know any better. She has no clue what you want, and scaring her into it isn't going to help. She has to get confortable with going forward. If she already knew better then id say, if she wants to back fine, then make her back untill she wont want to anymore. But she doesn't know any better and you must teach her.

Have someone walk next to her as if they wer leading her and praise the crap out of her. Slowly ease the person off her. Eventally she will realise that going foward isn't all that bad. You got to get her so she understands forward motion and goes along with it happily.

#11 ·
When I was working with a trainer putting first rides and saddling on a horse, She always lunged the horse with all the tack on first, and then when I would get on, she would still have the lunge line, and would help encourage the horse to go forward when I put my leg on, said walk or trot or whatever, and kissed, and that always helped the babies learn to go forward without scaring them, and without letting her think that just standing there is fine. And trust me, I am working a quarter horse gelding, halter horse, who is very green and lacks confidence, and just getting his feet to move, while yes it helped, he still thinks a few months down the road that when asked to trot out, or canter, that doing pirouettes, and tiny little circles, is much easier. Still haven't quite figured that one out yet lol. But on him you can't push him. Simply sitting on his back, and bumping him with your leg and trying to out wait him doesn't work. He personally is just a stubborn horse, who has some other problems, but if pushed enough, or I try to out wait him long enough, he eventually either rears straight up, slams himself sideways into the railing, or tries to back up up a hill. So if you are going to try the sit and wait her out till she moves, be careful that she won't end up getting so upset or confused, that she goes up, or does something else to try and get rid of the frustration.

#12 · (Edited)
I should have added that you need to keep the head bent to one side a little. This will keep her from rearing. A horse can't rear or buck unless the head and neck are aligned and it's easier to get them to take a step if thier head is pulled around about half way. To make it comfortable to go forward it has to be uncomfortable to stand still. however you want to do that is fine as long as she can't ignore it and you don't quit untill you get the desired response.

#13 ·
Sounds like a confidence thing to me. A lot of horses are fine when leading because you're not asking them to take charge and go first, but when you get up in the saddle, it's a scary proposition for them to head off "alone." The problem isn't going to subside if you continue to have someone lead her while you ride, so you really have to get her to try to move off on her own so that she will see it is safe for her to do so. What I do for horses that aren't fond of going forward is to take a light weight marine rope and swing it rythmically behind me on both sides of the horse (takes some coordination, but you'll get the hang of it), increasing tempo and speed until the horse moves off. Then I let the horse be until it stops again and repeat the process. Eventually she'll get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.