The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Miniature Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/)
-   -   Give me "Mini's for Dummies" (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/give-me-minis-dummies-34210/)

themacpack 08-18-2009 04:00 PM

Give me "Mini's for Dummies"

So, I think I've come close to persuading the hubster to at least consider a pasture mate for Aero. I don't really want another full sized horse and configuring the fence for a goat would add to the cost of this addition to the family. Topping my list right now are a mini-donk or miniature horse. I have been around both, but never had to actually "keep" one.
What would you say are the key things for someone to know about either? What about them is different than keeping a full-sized horse? I am looking into rescue, so pedigree, etc aren't really a concern - they are most likely going to be little more than a loved pet (as far as useage).
Not really a sure thing, but always good to be informed BEFORE you bring something home, no?

CowGirlUp9448 08-18-2009 04:22 PM

Hmm... I really can't be much help here. But I have seen a lot of people that say not to have a Mini with a fully sized horse because accidents can happen. I don't disagree or agree with them but I recently bought a Mini horse and I have him with my 16hh mare. They love each and follow eachother around like puppies. lol Just thought I would share that with you.

One thing I have noticed about my Mini that is different then a horse is that don't eat near as much lmao.

Sorry I can't be much more help then that.

minihorse927 08-21-2009 09:11 PM

Minis require the same as a full size horse, just in smaller amounts. If you need to feed a commerical feed stay with lower carb and lower sugar feeds. Sweet feed is not the best choice for minis as they usually get huge on it and hyperactive. If the mini is fat, make sure they have weight all the way around their body not just a huge belly and no topline as this is typically a protein and vitamin/mineral deficiency.

I know lots of people who keep their big horses and minis together, just always remember, they may be the best of friends but one misplaced playful kick may not bother a big horse, but can kill a mini.
Before you turn a mini out with your big horse, make sure your big horse is not afraid of it, as most big horses who have never seen them before are terrified of them.

SoMuchManureSoLittleTime 08-23-2009 12:03 PM

Got to agree with Minihorse. Big horses and minis have to have time to get used to each other first. I'd suggest adjoining pastures for a while so they can meet without being together. Often big horses are scared to death the first time they see minis. On the other hand, minis aren't afraid of biggiesl.

Big horse hooves can hit a mini right in the head, so care must be taken. Once they big horses and minis get acquainted, they usually get along just fine.

weefoal 08-26-2009 09:47 AM

Quote:

they may be the best of friends but one misplaced playful kick may not bother a big horse, but can kill a mini.
This is so true. Cant tell you how many people I have met that swear it works fine then email me later to say the mini accidentally got kicked in the head and died. The problem is the mini's head is right at hoof height to a big horse. The big horse doesnt mean to kick them but it happens.

I have found the biggest problem is that people dont feed their minis enough. They get told a handful of hay is enough and its not. Especially if you get a young growing miniature. People mistake a big bloated belly for fat when they are actually too thin.

Never use Quest dewormer on a mini and always try to use Banamine instead of bute

Good luck!