The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   when to start jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/when-start-jumping-342729/)

puphorse 01-08-2014 08:12 PM

when to start jumping

I've been riding for about 7 or 8 months and I was wondering if anyone could tell me when I could start jumping. I know it depends on the person but maybe someone could give me an idea. I can trot good and do half seat at the trot, I'm getting better at trotting poles. I can canter on my own even though I may need some work on that before I start jumping. I am in a group lesson and can kind of ride without stirrups( I have asked my instructor to work on this). If anyone has an idea please comment thanks!:D

beverleyy 01-10-2014 01:06 PM

No body can tell you when you should start jumping based upon one post. It would help to see videos. That being said, everyone's definition of "when" will be different. IMHO, a rider should not be thinking about jumping before they can W/T/C with and without stirrups on their own (meaning not on a lunge line). I would never - and have never - started a student before they were fully capable of this.

I believe I started jumping ~8 months after riding. I was doing 1-2x per week lessons at the time and riding family horses in between lessons so how often you ride will depend on your ability also. A GOOD trainer will not start you jumping before you are truly ready.

verona1016 01-10-2014 01:15 PM

I started riding the summer before I graduated college and was jumping by the time I went back to school (so, maybe 2 months after my first lesson?) It was WAY too early. I didn't have the basics down and was basically just hanging on for the ride. Once I graduated and moved, I ended up taking lessons at a dressage barn and just went back to jumping about a year ago (teaching my horse to jump at the same time). It's way more fun now since I have much better balance and control.

Don't be in a rush- you should feel comfortable in all gaits before even considering jumping.