The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Should I be worried? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/should-i-worried-34282/)

KatiesMom38 08-19-2009 12:53 PM

Should I be worried?

I was just talking to someone that said his neice was really into horses for a lot of years, jumping and all that, last wk. her horse kicked her and knocked out all her teeth. My daughter & I are kind of newer (she's only 8) and she's on her 2nd yr. of lessons, I know things do go wrong sometimes, but how worried should I be about this type of thing and others, she really hopes to have a future with horses and eventually be int jumping when she's older, but I've heard some stories and I'm scared. Advice please??

themacpack 08-19-2009 01:23 PM

There is risk and danger in everything - the only way to be 100% safe would be to wrap one's self in bubble wrap (even then, you could suffocate). Be as safe as possible by taking appropriate precautions and using the preoper equipment, that's all you can do in any endeavor in life.

Nita 08-19-2009 01:24 PM

Well, it kind of depends. Most everyone will have an accident of some sort, but not all of them are that bad. Plus, it's not all the horses fault. Did he have a reason to kick her? Did she forget to talk to him as she walked into his blind spot? Most horses, especially lesson horses, and older, more experienced ones, won't kick or spaz out. Any horse can, but these types are less likely. Plus, if your daughter always talks to the horse and doesn't startle him or anything, that will take down the chances. Walking into a blind spot and then touching a horse's rump got me kicked, and it was completely my fault. I wasn't thinking, I just assumed the horse knew I was back there. So yeah, I wouldn't worry tons about it. Just make sure your daughter knows how to be safe around horses.

All mothers worry. Period. It's scary to watch kids ride, and it's even scarier to watch them fall. She will fall. Everyone falls. But she will probably just laugh and get back in the saddle. Kids are more resilient than adults think. haha.

Plus, you always hear those types of stories. Probably because, what kind of tale would it make if nothing happened? You never hear a person tell you about this horrible story in which!!!!!!! -- "Oh Yeah, sally had a perfect experience. She didn't even fall. The end."

Lol see? I know, you're going to worry anyway, but chances are, if your daughter is a safe horseperson, she won't have an awful injury.

Good luck with horses! Sounds like she's going to be a little horsewoman. =)

Scoutrider 08-19-2009 01:30 PM

There is always a risk when dealing with horses. They are animals, and can therefore be unpredictable. The best thing you can do is minimize the risk. ALWAYS wear a helmet when mounted (or even on the ground if your dealing with a rank or problem horse, but since you're fairly new to horses, I doubt that that's your situation :D). Keep an eye on the horse, especially the ears, when working with/around it, and be familiar with their body language and what they're "telling" you. Don't wrap a lead rope around your hand, hold it loosley coiled. Just little things, common sense. Accidents can always happen, but by thinking through the worst case scenario of the results of your actions and acting accordingly, you can minimize the risk and a habit of safety becomes second nature.

That's rough that that girl lost her teeth getting kicked, I hope she's okay. But, to put things in perspective and to try to put your mind at ease, I know a girl who's been into horses for years, jumping and showing, who knocked half her teeth out on a waterslide, no horses for miles. Accidents happen, all you can do is be as safe as practically possible.

Hope that helped, and I'm sure others can add little tips to the list I gave.

QHChik 08-19-2009 01:41 PM

Everything has a certain risk associated with it and really the only thing that you can do is be prepared as possible. I definitely agree that accidents can happen (half of my finger is gone because it was bit off by a horse... I was 4) but you just have to take all the necessary precautions and then learn from things that either happen to you or those around you.

But really, you could get hurt crossing the street, I'd rather take my chances with the horses! They're a lot more fun!

Lonestar22 08-19-2009 01:54 PM

hell i hurt myself just walking. lol. IMO everybody gets hurt one way or another. what kind of life would your daughter have if she had to sit inside all day and do nothing with her free time beacause her mother was scared she would get hurt? Not a fun one. Let her have a life thats worth living. Yeah you can worry, but don't be overbearing. tell her to be safe and cautious but don't prevent her from doing those things she wants to do. maybe even join in on them on occasion. I belive that an overbearing, overly cautious parent causes kids to act out (sometimes dangerous and sometimes not) because they need the independance and trust.

KatiesMom38 08-19-2009 02:44 PM

Wow, thanks for the advice you guys. I guess you are right, no matter what she does she could get hurt, I can't let her not be a kid because of it. Also I totally am the one that encouraged her to get into horses and it would be mean to tell her at this point she can't do it because I'm worried she's going to get hurt. She has had a couple close calls that scared the living daylights out of me, but didn't get hurt thank God! I do occasionally join her for a trail ride if there's a horse available at the time, I like to be a part of what she does. I think I will have to pray more and then maybe the worry part will ease up a little bit. Thanks again for all your advice, I am glad that I have you guys on here.