The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Protection (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/)
-   -   Gelding a horse at home. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/gelding-horse-home-342858/)

MissAllySunshine 01-09-2014 01:31 AM

Gelding a horse at home.

Maybe I am nuts....or being over protective or too sensitive. A friend of mine and her husband cut their own horses to save the 100 dollar vet bill. They do this by taking 4 long ropes. I dun know the best way to explain so i will just put the steps out

1. Find 2 sturdy trees about 9 foot apart or so
2. Tie horses head to the first tree
3. then tie the horses back legs and wrap around the tree
4. then they spook the horse so when it backs up, he tightens the legs to the trees so that the horse trips down onto its back.
5. Tie the horses front legs together and secure back legs so they as its owners, do not get hurt.
6. They then as they say "sterilize" the area by throwing a bucket of water and iodine onto the horses testicles.
7. No pain medications or sedatives are used during the first process, or the process of the horse being cut open and his testicles ripped out....they finish by pouring more iodine on the wound.

Now this is the kicker, they buy and sell horses so they do this on a regular basis. The horse after being cut, is put in a tiny stall to "swell" up for 3-4 days that way the horse is in to much pain to buck or fight them while they break it to ride.....

I almost laughed at them when they wanted to cut my horse...I have alot of dirt on them....but this to me is cruelty....they say its the old fashioned way or the "cowboy" way....any opinions?

franknbeans 01-09-2014 07:40 AM

I would be calling the authorities. This is cruelty to me too, and I really hope this is not true. Sickening.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 01-09-2014 08:38 AM

Siiiigh......this actually is a lot more common than you think. I wouldn't allow it to be done to one of my horses but I don't think it's illegal either. At least not here in OK.

wyominggrandma 01-09-2014 09:49 AM

Not illegal in Wyoming either. Its their horses, they can geld it anyway they want.

Saddlebag 01-09-2014 10:09 AM

A good horseman can lay a horse down without those barbaric methods.

Zexious 01-09-2014 10:36 AM

I would think it would be illegal. Wyominggrandma posted "they can geld it anyway they want". What, then, would stop someone who is abusing an animal from saying "I can reprimand any way I want"?

To me, this is sick. No pain killers? Seriously? You would think the men working would at least have that much sympathy.

Anyway, I would definitely call the authorities. The worst that can happen is they say there is nothing they can do... And at least you would know that you did something.

wyominggrandma 01-09-2014 10:46 AM

Banding bull calves, sheep, goats etc are considered cruel by some people, yet it is done daily on farms and ranches.
Is it humane? No. I bet you check into your state laws, you will find out it is legal and people are allowed to do as they want with their own animals.

Hang on Fi 01-09-2014 10:53 AM

That makes me squirm and I don't even have that equipment.

I "have" heard people castrating bulls by tying a string around their "boys" until they essentially "fall off."

I guess some people want to save a buck. I wouldn't even have the personal confidence to take it upon myself to geld a horse.

SlideStop 01-09-2014 11:19 AM

I say that is NOTHING short of abuse, torture or ! Performing an operation with out any type of anesthesia or pain medication. Then breaking them out right after the operation!?
Posted via Mobile Device

MissAllySunshine 01-09-2014 12:46 PM

I actually did call the authorities and nothing was done...my "friend" and her husband said that this method of gelding their horses is good for them, it teaches the horse to respect them...i've trained with natural methods my whole life and i know there are better ways to achieve respect with your horses.