The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Horse Injury (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horse-injury-34300/)

HorseExerciser 08-19-2009 07:03 PM

Horse Injury

I started riding this horse named Breezy and about a week after I started riding him I went on vacation for two weeks. When I came back he had developed a fist sized bump on his right shoulder. It is right where the saddle sits, so before I got on him I put as much pressure on the bump as I could with my hand and it doesn't seem to bother him at all. The only thing I noticed was that he would get a little sore on that shoulder after being ridden. So the owner had the vet come out to take a look and the vet said that it could be from my saddle tree, because he was kicked that high, or because he rolled on a rock or something hard. I'm going to ride him in an english saddle next time, but I really don't think it is from my saddle since I had been using it on him before I left without a problem and because it is only on one side. Has anyone had the same problem? If so, how long did it take to go away? Any helpful comments or advice would be appreciated.

MyBoyPuck 08-19-2009 10:28 PM

Is the bump hard or is it gushy and gives way when you push on it? Has it gone down in size at all?

HorseExerciser 08-19-2009 10:35 PM

It's pretty hard, not squishy at all. And it doesn't give way when I push on it at all. Unfortunately it hasn't gone down in a few weeks. I actually thought it got a little more pronounced.

MyBoyPuck 08-19-2009 10:51 PM

Well, if it's hard, it's not a dried blood buildup from impact of rolling or getting kicked. That would be more gushy. We had a horse at our barn who had been kicked by another horse. It was more soft and went down within a week. It also relocated from his shoulder down to his belly since it was more liquid in nature and gave into gravity. I have no idea what would make a hard bump. Maybe reaction to a bug bite or tick?

HorseExerciser 08-19-2009 11:58 PM

Okay, it's just really wierd. Hopefully it goes away soon, but at least it doesn't seem to be bothering him. Thanks for the info, though.

dressagebelle 08-20-2009 03:55 PM

Hard bumps can actually be caused by blunt trauma, such as being kicked by another horse, it all depends on where the kick landed, and how hard it was ect. Splints are caused on the legs when a horse kicks itself while moving, and it is easily diagnosed because it is a hard lump on the lower leg. How big is it? Does it look big enough to be caused by getting kicked? He could have also bumped his shoulder into something playing with neighbors, or running in a pasture or turn out or something. If it is relatively small, it could be a horse fly bite. But generally after a few days those go down in size. If it hasn't gotten any smaller, and has possibly even gotten bigger in the last few weeks, I'd have the vet come out and look at it again. It might be a cyst or something that needs to be lanced, but generally those types of things are soft, not hard. Hopefully you at least get rid of it, even if you never figure out what caused it.

HorseExerciser 08-20-2009 06:11 PM

The vet says he could have been kicked that high. He is only about 14.2 or 14.3 hands high. Now that I've checked my dates, it's been there since July 22nd. It hasn't gone down at all and it's about the size of my fist. It doesn't stick up super far but it is definitely noticeable. The vet just said to watch it in case it looked like something was stuck in it and it got infected.

dee 08-21-2009 04:35 PM

We brought my two new horses home 07/11/09. Two days after that, my daughter's mare had some really horrible looking scratches in her flank and a HUGE lump on her side and another lump on her belly. The scratches weren't deep, just ugly looking. We doped the scratches, but could only keep an eye on the lumps. We think she fell down the back side of our pond dam. The lumps could have been from a kick, but they aren't really spaced right for them both to be from the same kick. However, the lumps have finally faded away to virtutually nothing. The scratches are well healed. It just takes a long time for these things to heal, I guess.

HorseExerciser 08-21-2009 06:17 PM

Okay thanks. I will just wait it out. :) It doesn't seem to bother him.