The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Percheron pride!

15K views 54 replies 35 participants last post by  Casmay 
#1 ·
Post some pictures of your Percheron! They are such beautiful animals, and so majestic.

#9 ·
Here's my Percheron "Big John".

LOL, not quite sure what he was doing here

This is what he does for a "living"

I used to ride him, but he was too green to do much riding bareback and I don't have a saddle to fit him anymore

And he's just about 2000 pounds of personality LOL

And, this is his super obnoxious, half paint son, Taz

He moves a lot nicer than his Daddy does, which is a huge plus

This was taken this last summer as a 3 year old. I wish he'd stop growing right there, but I don't think it's going to happen LOL.

#19 ·
I have a team of Percherons. This is Smoke, my registered mare, at the Upperville Colt and Horse show in Middleburg, VA:

My best friend Terry and I on Trixie and Smoke:

#21 ·
They're all so lovely! Thanks for the photos. It's a good thing that some people still run draught horses and that they didn't get extinct with the tractor, truck etc taking over. Such majestic animals and usually such gentle giants too! :)

#22 ·
I love Percherons but are they for me
I never had a draft but love them dearly and wished I had one and I'am thinking of getting one should I?

I want a big sturdy 17hh horse

I don't jump show im just a little country girl with a big heart who loves to trail ride!!

I love drafts and always have since I was little!

ARE DRAFTS FOR ME?

#31 ·
I love Percherons but are they for me
I never had a draft but love them dearly and wished I had one and I'am thinking of getting one should I?

I want a big sturdy 17hh horse

I don't jump show im just a little country girl with a big heart who loves to trail ride!!

I love drafts and always have since I was little!

ARE DRAFTS FOR ME?
That depends entirely on you and if you are willing/able to tolerate a horse that can be very unhandy on a trail (not speaking only of drafts, but any tall/heavy horse).

If you have trails that are not very manicured and have trees with low hanging branches or steep/difficult terrain, a draft will have more trouble navigating than other horses. If the branches are hanging low, you'll have to lean down really far or even get off and lead them underneath branches that other riders ride under easily.

Drafts don't have as much endurance as smaller breeds so if you want to do a lot of trotting/loping, you'll need to really take a lot of time working up to it and getting them in shape. If you have to get off, sometimes it can be difficult to mount from the ground unless there is something nearby you can climb on like a rock or a tree stump.

Now, all that being said, I have ridden my Perch successfully on the trails several times. If you're more content to just plod along at a walk, then a draft can do that all day. If you teach them to walk on out with long strides that are faster, they can easily walk fast enough to keep up with a standard horse that is jogging. They do tend to be more mellow/laid back than average standard horses.

If you would be content with a cross, that might suit your needs better. I've got a Belgian x QH that I ride all the time and use for ranch work. He's not quite as big/heavy as his full draft mother but he's got her super mellow temperament. From his QH daddy, he got a slightly more refined body, more athleticism, and better endurance. Just yesterday I roped 2 cows with him and we probably loped for 2-3 miles without stopping.

And, even though he's not a percheron.....

#23 ·
I have a question, I'm 15 and love percherons i'm now 5'5 do you think I should buy a percheron I really really want one and I don't jump, show im just a country girl who loves horses and trail riding and mabey barrel racing some day and love drafts.. well do you think there for me please answer my question.

THANK YOU,

#26 ·
A full percheron is not going to make a stellar trail mount. They will also come with a higher maintenance cost. I love my drafts and will have them the rest of my life but I don't see that where you are right now that they are the right horse for you. What I would suggest for now is to seek out someone around you with a 4-6 up who is looking for some help for the upcoming show season. Typically they do not pay but they will pay your expenses to travel with them to the larger shows during the summer. In exchange you will be thrown into the deep end and get one of the best hands on educations out there. You will be eligible to show in youth driving classes (you typically must be under 17) as well as youth riding and showmanship classes when they offer them. There are also some great scholarship programs the different breed registries and state draft horse clubs offer that are always attractive to pursue.

#27 ·
We have a handful of these beauties! We do used to do a lot of showing with them. Now they mostly work around the farm and have fun! The riding one is of my mare Lily. It's also her with me in my prom dress. The team is Lily and Bunny. Half sisters. I drove them myself in our prom parade! They are so much fun, and just a joy to work with!

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.