The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What does your horse wear in the trailer?

4K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Jessie567 
#1 ·
I'm putting Carolina on a truck headed north on a 6 or 7 hour trip. I've got shipping boots already, leather halter with nameplate since I won't be meeting her at the other end. Wondering if I should put a stable sheet on her? Or just let her be with the boots? I also wanted to braid and bag up her tail because she swishes it a lot and I don't want it getting caught up on anything in the trailer and upsetting her (she gets a bit diva-ish).

#6 ·
I think the boots and wrapping her tail would be fine. You might consider a fly mask to keep debris out of her eyes, and help keep the wind down. I don't think the boots will make her too hot, either. If you're really worried, you can always get her a "helmet." It loops through the halter and has holes for her ears. Of course, if she isn't used to it, it could do more harm than good, I just think they are hilarious. =P

#8 ·
Shipper wants the boots, I'd prefer them too. She's used to them.

Good idea about the fly mask, that's one thing she's learned to deal with since being with me.

Yep, we signed the lease on the house yesterday. We move in on August 31st. Mildly freaking out, organising an interstate military move in less than 14 days.
Signed the boarding contract with the barn yesterday. Carolina will be going into quarantine for 7 days once she gets there.

I'm shipping her so far because we're moving from a little north of Nashville, TN to Indianapolis, IN.

#9 ·
I think the boots and wrapping her tail would be fine. You might consider a fly mask to keep debris out of her eyes, and help keep the wind down. I don't think the boots will make her too hot, either. If you're really worried, you can always get her a "helmet." It loops through the halter and has holes for her ears. Of course, if she isn't used to it, it could do more harm than good, I just think they are hilarious. =P
I wouldn't use a fly-mask is it's an enclosed trailer. It makes it really hard for them to see in the dark.

I dont put anything on my horses when transporting, unless they are known to hurt themselves. I used to bandage when we floated two horses and one was my feriends mare as she used to kick the other horse, but apart from that, never do, and never had an injury. I figure they would get uncomfortable, what if the boots started itching and the couldn't move to itch?

#11 ·
I would definitely use boots as she is used to them, its silly not to use them even for a small journey as if the lorry had to do a sudden stop for some reason the horse could easily whack their legs, i think you seem to be pretty clued up on travelling your horse, boots and a tail bandage/bag is probably all she would need :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.