New Years Resolutions 2014!
Hello all! I thought I would make a thread where you could set goals for you and your horse(s) for the upcoming year, and track your progress with posts/pictures/videos/whatever.
For Toofine this year my goals are:
1. Ride outside of the ring more often to develop consistency of his gaits no matter where we are. He gets very tense and go go go outside of the arena, so we definitely need to work on his relaxation and work ethic.
2. Get both of his leads consistently, on a straight line. Also, be able to do simple lead changes, quietly.
3. Be able to ride with slack in my rein and have him manage what speed he is going at. Currently if I take away my contact, he will quicken his pace and raise his head up. I want him to be round, relaxed and consistent on loose rein.
4. Overall, I want him to be more relaxed and soft.
1. To finish basic groundwork and manners with her.
2. Put lots and lots of miles on her on trails and in the arena.
3. Desensitize her to scary situations, and teach her to react in a controllable, safe manner.
1. Have my hands stay quiet and soft no matte what situation presents itself.
2. Participate in 1 recognized 3 day event
3. School at an xc course with many different levels and questions at it, so I can really test my horse. (B/N, N jumps for sure, maybe Training too!)
What is everyone else's resolutions/goals for the New year?
This is a great idea! It's going to help me accomplish my goals =)
Goals for the horse I co-board :
1. Buy her =)
2. Get her flying lead changes solid
3. Work on cantering from a walk
4. Work on jumping and staying collected after a jump
5. Generally keep her calm by desensitization
Goals for me:
1. Ride as many different horses as I can. Thus being able to ride any horse
2. Get a really solid leg and heel
3. Work on my posture while bareback
Posted via Mobile Device
I really like that you are trying to ride many different horses, it really helped in my riding. I go from riding a 16h hard mouthed QH to a 14h sensitive Arabian. It's difficult changing how you ride from horse to horse!
Goos luck with your resolutions! Keep us updated (:
I only have one.
Finish all projects.
Three little words, but a long time to accomplish since I'm good at STARTING a project, but sucketh at finishing one :lol:
^Haha, I know this feel xD
Anyway! My only goal this year is to get back on my horse. Unfortunately, I have to walk (literally) before I can run, so being weight bearing at all in my right foot is step one. ):
Love this! I started this thread on another forum as well, so I'll copy and paste!
Understand leg pressures(she side passes, but doesn't understand forehand/hindquarters.)
Develop her neck rein better-- get her lighter and more sensitive to it.
Get her ground tying down PACT
Get her to tie without throwing a fit. (Ex. Tie her up, have her just cock a leg and relax)
Get her to stay consistent in her lope (She doesnt like to stay in a lope for long)
Side Pass and overall understand leg pressures.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm starting to work with my perch x mare first. I need to re-teach her leg cues since the young "trainer" I bought her from taught leg cues completely opposite of what their really supposed to be...hopefully it won't be too much work! I also need to work with Dex on his laziness. He only wants to walk at a snail's pace and when asked to increase speed he feels he needs to buck :P Do you guys have any ideas on what I can do to prevent his bucking?
Or I would recommend Clinton Anderson's "cruising" method. I had large success with it with my green 5 yr old. The goal is to have the horse stay in one gait, with no assistance from you.
For example when my horse needed to learn how to canter on his own, I brought him into our hay field, got him cantering and let him choose what direction to go, as long as he stayed cantering. He would only be reinforced when he would drop down to a trot or walk. His release would be me leaving him alone, and just let him go. Good luck!
1. Save money instead of spending it. Other than my reining saddle, I have to start spending on silly things. I plan to move out in a few years and want plenty of "wiggle room" if I'm in a bind!
2. Graduate College with my associates and figure out a plan for what I am doing next.
3. Start AQHA Shows!
4. Loose weight. I always feel weird when I say that, I get a lot of negative feed back. I only weigh 130 as it is, but that's the heaviest I've ever been. It's not so much as I see myself as fat or ugly, I just see my body as a project...always room for improvement. I'm like mental bulimic, I eat and eat and eat then hate myself and work out like crazy for a week then go back to eating, haha. And if I don't loose weight, but loose fat and gain muscle mass, I will be THRILLED!
5. Ride more frequently! I'm already keeping true to that one very well and it makes me happy.
6. I'm surrounded by so much negativity, I plan to drop anything that has anything negative to do with it. Positive thinking, there is a silver lining to everything.
7. Send Dusty to a working cow horse trainer:)
8. Get Playboy completely tuned up and awesome to where he could win any reining class I put him in.
9. Have Sassy consistent on the barrels and ready for rodeos in the summer.
That's a lot on my plate..geez. But I'll make the best of it:)
Good luck! I definitely have issues with spending money too :oops: and I am in the same boat as you on #4. I'm not overweight, but I'm also not happy with my body. One week is "i'm going to eat super healthy" and the next week is eating everything in sight lol.
I hope you reach your goals!
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:23 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.