The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique Nala (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-nala-34366/)

Pacifica 08-20-2009 05:44 PM

Critique Nala

1 Attachment(s)
I've never really had someone critique my horse so feel free! She's a 16h Reg. Thoroughbred. She was bred to race but ended up in my hands as a hunter. Now I plan on breeding her to a Hannovarian to get a Sport Horse (fingers crossed for another pretty hunter).

7Ponies 08-20-2009 07:28 PM

She is very pretty, I love her color. What kind, lovely eyes she has, and a very nice head. She looks steep in her shoulder and also very steep in the rear pasterns

saint3meg3rlfc 08-20-2009 11:00 PM

Very pretty, but she's also pretty down hill

7Ponies 08-21-2009 12:43 AM

Hm, I don't see that she is "downhill" If you pick her head up it would give her a fairly level top line. As she's standing now, you can almost draw a straight line from the top of her butt to her withers, if her head was up, she'd be just about right.

Pacifica 08-21-2009 02:09 AM

Thank you! I never noticed how steep her pasterns are. What do you think that mainly affects? She has very bad feet (**** Thoroughbreds) and it seems her heel is very short making her toes point out a bit more, I think this may be why they are so long. As for her being downhill... I wish she was all the time! She loves carrying her head lower but as soon as we pick up the trot she's a typical Thoroughbred and carries her front end higher. Hunters are typically more downhill with a sloping shoulder.

Chuckface 08-21-2009 08:38 PM

shes gorgeous! good luck with the future breedign plans :)

Pacifica 08-22-2009 12:10 AM

Thank you! Im super excited it's gunna be my first foal :)

mckenna310 08-22-2009 01:31 AM

she is lovely! i dont think shes downhill i think its just a bad pic conformation wise. she looks to have nice conformation. also i think the camped out look behind is just from her standing funny

Pacifica 08-24-2009 02:23 AM

thanks for the input!

AussieDaisyGirl 08-24-2009 09:39 AM

I'm not normally a fan of chestnuts but she's gorgeous! I think mostly with the steep pasterns it's just not a great shock absorber. But they don't look particularly heinous to me.

I think with careful selection of the stud you're going to have a gorgeous foal.