The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Animals (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/)
-   -   Dexter Cattle (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/dexter-cattle-34404/)

RusticWildFire 08-20-2009 10:42 PM

Dexter Cattle

I was just wondering if anyone here has experience with Dexter cattle? My boyfriend and I are looking to get a small heard of them after I graduate so I'm just curious what anyone who has experience with them might have to say about them.

smrobs 08-20-2009 11:07 PM

The ranch that my brother manages raises what I think are Dexters (at least they look the same, I had to google them) and they produce a nice crop of babies every year. Most of them are very mellow and just like to kinda go with the flow. Some of them can get incredibly large; there were some momma cows this spring during the branding that were almost as big as my horse and probably weighed more. We also get a bunch of yearlings every summer from a feedlot and some of them fit the profile for Dexter cattle. They do well and fatten up quickly. I have not really noticed any big health issues with them either except the occasional pinkeye or foot rot.

Good choice. :D

snoggle 08-20-2009 11:30 PM

There is a big thing in the online version of Mother Earth News this month that talks about miniature dairy cattle and some stuff about Dexters. After reading this, I decided that I want a Dexter someday - of course husband thinks this is a horrible idea - but he'll come around :-) Good luck!

Lonestar22 08-28-2009 12:07 AM

so far everything I have read about them hass been good. have your cows tested for the bulldog gene. Basically the calf produced by a bull and cow both carrying the gene would have no bones. Cattle carrying the gene are "short-legged" I guess this means their legs are shorter than normal. lol. And I think you have to milk them when they are pregnant bc they are dairy cows.