The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   horse shy around mouth (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/horse-shy-around-mouth-344137/)

XxBabyGirlxX 01-11-2014 03:05 PM

horse shy around mouth

I have a horse who has not had any experience with anything and I try to pet her muzzle and she throw her head and looks away. :-(

Palomine 01-11-2014 10:35 PM

Leave her mouth alone. She doesn't like it and most of us will tell you to not handle the mouth at all, as that leads to biting, and nipping.

Horse is telling you she doesn't like it, which 99% of the horses will also tell you.

And to continue to do it will set horse up to see you as aggravating to have around.

Bitting, de-worming and the like are far different from a human just bothering horse.

You may also be doing other things that are aggravating, and exacerbating this too.

sorral3 01-12-2014 12:08 PM

well, if my horse doesn't want me to touch a part of her body, then guess what becomes my favorite part to pet... A vet is going to eventually have to check her mouth, a kid is going to try to pet her, start desensitization on her mouth and nose. pressure and retreat...work on it a little a day.

it will not lead to biting if you don't let it, or head shy, or any other silly thing if you approach it right.

good luck

XxBabyGirlxX 01-12-2014 03:07 PM

thank you so much Sorral3 I will def be doing that and working with her :)

Yogiwick 01-12-2014 03:41 PM

I agree with Palomine. Yes you should be able to handle her mouth *if you need to* and should work on that in a training capacity. But she doesn't like it and you should also respect that. Don't pester her.

sorral3 01-12-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yogiwick (Post 4515553)
I agree with Palomine. Yes you should be able to handle her mouth *if you need to* and should work on that in a training capacity. But she doesn't like it and you should also respect that. Don't pester her.

Ok, if the horse doesn't like being touched somewhere, then it is pestering....ok....

my horse did not want a saddle on her until I worked with her....so am I pestering her when I ride? Should I stop saddling her....Hell No. The horse is a subordinate animal, I will do what I want, when I want as long as I want or she is going to work her butt off. I really don't care if I am pestering or bugging her. She either accepts it or works hard, or goes to one of the auctions that I don't care who buys her. Touchy feely attitudes with horses equals poor mannered critters that I WILL NOT TIPTOE AROUND. I spend top dollar for feed, I use the best shoer I can find, I don't hesitate to call a vet if needed, get a second opinion on training if I am unsure, but I will not tolerate a 1200 lb animal telling me what I can or cant do.

EmilyJoy 01-12-2014 10:38 PM

If it were me, I'd put a halter and lead on the horse and start with some ground work & desensitizing, completely ignoring the nose/mouth. When she starts thinking and starting to be relaxed I would put my hand up to the place (in the air) where she starts being uncomfortable, and just start waving my hand around, keeping her head towards me (one hand holding on to the halter, and the other desensitizing) back off when she relaxes and rub her on the neck...

Repeat over and over getting closer and closer each time, until you can completely move your hand around her face/moth without getting a reaction. I would quit there if she was really bad, if she wasn't I might hold my hand still for a second by the place she doesn't like then take it away and rub her face, then put it still right on her nose for a split second then take it away (making sure to take it away before she has time to react). If she does react just keep your hand there best as possible until she relaxes or holds still for 10sec. or so.. The more times she can't get away with something the easier it will get.

My 2yr old has been having the same problems, but she's been getting better and better each day. I will say she had one bad episode, but when she didn't win it was kind of a break through for us, everything calmed down after. I've made it a habit that everytime I am with her I'll do a brief session as I know that's her bad spot, I'll rub her briefly, but long enough to know she won't react... Before haltering, after haltering, before feeding her, after feeding her (I have to bring her in to eat so that the other horses won't bully her), before bridling after bridling, etc. etc. Every opportunity I get I take and use it as a teaching spell... Anyway hope this helps.

Yogiwick 01-13-2014 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorral3 (Post 4518849)
Ok, if the horse doesn't like being touched somewhere, then it is pestering....ok....

my horse did not want a saddle on her until I worked with her....so am I pestering her when I ride? Should I stop saddling her....Hell No. The horse is a subordinate animal, I will do what I want, when I want as long as I want or she is going to work her butt off. I really don't care if I am pestering or bugging her. She either accepts it or works hard, or goes to one of the auctions that I don't care who buys her. Touchy feely attitudes with horses equals poor mannered critters that I WILL NOT TIPTOE AROUND. I spend top dollar for feed, I use the best shoer I can find, I don't hesitate to call a vet if needed, get a second opinion on training if I am unsure, but I will not tolerate a 1200 lb animal telling me what I can or cant do.

I agree with you. I didn't say we need to do whatever the horse wants. The horse should be able to be touched anywhere at any time. I'm simply saying that respect is mutual. If the horse doesn't like it's face touched, by all means get it used to having its faced touched and be able to handle it... and then leave it alone. There is no need to push the buttons, *for no reason*. Training needs to happen, safe handling needs to happen, pestering does not.

I am simply saying respect needs to be mutual. Pestering (and no I'm not saying "putting the saddle on" or anything silly) is not part of training, and imo is a cause for "touchy feely attitudes". I guess you got the wrong impression of what I meant by pestering..

sorral3 01-13-2014 01:18 AM

I really don't care if I am pestering a horse. They get 18-24 hours a day to be left alone. When I step into a corral, they are on my time, and will have to put up with anything I want....that is what they get for being lower on the food chain. I don't know if I respect a horse. I respect my wife, my boss, and most American veterans, I would not put an animal on the same level. They are livestock that I care for to get a use out of or make a profit from. Yes, riding and training are fun, roping and working cattle are too, but I don't form any tight emotional bond. I see horses for what they are, livestock... And will touch my horse's month weather she likes it or not.

Yogiwick 01-13-2014 02:23 AM

Meh, I don't think you're following me. Obviously you aren't going to stand there and poke her with a stick because you can, I'm just saying the same with playing with her mouth.

Agree to disagree on what you said though. I think pretty much anything/one you expect to give you respect deserves respect of their own and that ultimately they are the same. Shrug. To each their own. I think we have the same basic line of thought and just aren't communicating well :)