The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Position Over Fences (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/position-over-fences-344665/)

Bagheera 01-12-2014 02:42 PM

Position Over Fences

I've just recently started jumping again after having switched from jumpers to exclusively riding dressage the last year and a half. The jumping is going extremely well, except for the fact that I am coming back too quickly after the jumps. This is a habit from riding bigger fences, 4ft plus, for years. I'm only jumping 2'6ft right now and have zero plans to jump over 3ft as dressage is my main focus. I have a very nice automatic release over the jumps, and I follow the horse's mouth nicely with my hands and position. As soon as the horse's feet touch down, I'm already back into my half seat position. I don't really ever plan on showing any thing other than dressage in the future. I do know that coming back with my body so quickly would not work if I ever showed hunters or equitation. Any ideas on how to help smooth out the landing?

amberly 01-12-2014 03:04 PM

I am new to English jumping as well, but the person who is teaching me told me to remain in my two point until his entire body has hit the ground, then I can sit down.

I don't know if that helped but i hope it did.

Bagheera 01-12-2014 03:19 PM

Yes. I really tried to focus on holding my two point a bit after each fence in my last lesson. It was a huge internal battle for me, as coming back quickly on the landing is so engraved into my habits. I came back quickly way more times than I held my position. It's just frustrating.

Corazon Lock 01-12-2014 08:42 PM

I have a problem with coming back too soon as well - at least with my old jumping horse. An instructor told me to stay in my two point well after the horse has landed. That's not the outcome you want, but by using over-exaggeration, eventually you will be able to find a middle ground and train your brain to wait.

Allison Finch 01-12-2014 08:52 PM

I'm not sure why your instructor let you sit back over the bigger jumps. This is the kiss of DEATH as it pushes the haunch down onto the jump, costing many a top pole. It is definitely something to fix before you start jumping big again.

Does your horse have a mane? I would grab that mane and not let go until the horse hits the ground. This will help keep you forward. A video of you would greatly help us see just what is making you sit back so soon. There could be a number of reasons and they could easily be fixed, IME.

Bagheera 01-12-2014 08:53 PM

Mind over matter. Right? Lol I'll just keep working on retraining my brain to give it another half step before I get back into my half seat. It'll click eventually, I hope. Lol

Bagheera 01-12-2014 08:59 PM

Sorry for the second post. You got your post in just before mine Allison. My horse Bagheera always built through combinations and I had to come back quickly to get him back in time for the next jump in the series. He also had an enormous stride and could easily leave a step or two out in a line. I think it became my go to to keep his stride in check. I never had a problem with him taking down rails with his back end. If he took them down, it was always with his front end. I have a video of two of the jumps but my friend has it. I'll see if I can get her to send it over so I can post it.

Bagheera 01-12-2014 11:35 PM

lesson_zps3937831f.mp4 Video by lifes_oddity88 | Photobucket

Please don't sugar coat anything. Tell me how crappy it really is so I can better my riding. Thanks!