The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Personal horse being used in lessons? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/personal-horse-being-used-lessons-344697/)

FoxyJumper 01-12-2014 02:12 PM

Personal horse being used in lessons?

My barn is a very friendly and sort of everyone shares everything facility. My problem isn't that I'm snotty and don't like other people using my things. My problem is that my horse is still green and she is my personal horse, I want her to be trained and listen to me, how I ask her. If a novice rider gets on her and sends her conflicting signals she's going to be confused, as she is easily confused. I'm not sure how to go about telling the barn owner that I would like to be in charge of who gets to use my horse and when. I also don't like the idea of my horse getting pulled out for more than one ride a day. How should I go about letting the barn owner know this without sounding like a snob?

TexasBlaze 01-12-2014 02:17 PM

Tell the Bo that you don't want your horse used. Plain and simply. It's your horse. I wouldn't let anyone ride my horse without my permission ever

DancingArabian 01-12-2014 02:19 PM

Are you under some kind of obligation to share your things and your horse? Your board better be pretty much free if so!

Just tell her no. Lock your stuff up.
Posted via Mobile Device

MN Tigerstripes 01-12-2014 02:22 PM

Um, yeah. I wouldn't board somewhere that thought they could just pull my horse out whenever and ride it. If I wanted that I would specifically look for it, I don't believe it should be a normal part of boarding. Does your contract state that the barn is run this way?

Sharpie 01-12-2014 02:23 PM

What does your boarding contract say? Are you paying a reduced rate in exchange for them using your horse? If your boarding contract doesn't explicitly say they can use your horse, then they can't. Especially if they are using your horse to make money for themselves and you're not being cut in on the deal (cash, reduced board rate, etc)

There is ZERO reason for them to be using your horse without your permission and you need to talk to them and let the BO/trainer that it is unacceptable

FoxyJumper 01-12-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingArabian (Post 4515369)
Are you under some kind of obligation to share your things and your horse? Your board better be pretty much free if so!

Just tell her no. Lock your stuff up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not under any obligation. The only thing she said about using her was if she absolutely had to use her because the other lesson horses were being used or at a show or something she could ask to use her. Key word ask. But she has recently been asking me if she could steadily use her in lessons and let one girl show on her, the showing is a for sure no. The lessons are also a no. I guess I will just let her know that I'm not okay with that, there really isn't a 'nice' way to say it.

FoxyJumper 01-12-2014 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN Tigerstripes (Post 4515385)
Um, yeah. I wouldn't board somewhere that thought they could just pull my horse out whenever and ride it. If I wanted that I would specifically look for it, I don't believe it should be a normal part of boarding. Does your contract state that the barn is run this way?

No most of the boarders at the barn are kind of just casual riders and see it as a benefit that their horses are getting exsersize but I am on the contrary and see that it's my personal horse and no one has the need to use her but me, especially while I'm trying to train her to my specific needs.

Amba1027 01-12-2014 02:29 PM

It's not and issue of 'being nice'. It's your horse. You 100% have the right to tell her you don't want other people riding your horse. And if someone thinks that's not 'nice', they have a few screws loose.

DancingArabian 01-12-2014 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoxyJumper (Post 4515433)
Not under any obligation. The only thing she said about using her was if she absolutely had to use her because the other lesson horses were being used or at a show or something she could ask to use her. Key word ask. But she has recently been asking me if she could steadily use her in lessons and let one girl show on her, the showing is a for sure no. The lessons are also a no. I guess I will just let her know that I'm not okay with that, there really isn't a 'nice' way to say it.

She is overstepping. She sounds like she will ask but is assuming and will be planning around you saying yes. Tell her no and that it will always be a no. You do not have to justify yourself - and she will make you try. If she's adamant on a "reason" tell her you don't want to, and that's that.
Posted via Mobile Device

FoxyJumper 01-12-2014 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN Tigerstripes (Post 4515385)

The barn contract states nothing about lessons. It inclueds the price of board and the whole injury thing. Then of course signatures.