The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   NO gaited bit/gaited saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/no-gaited-bit-gaited-saddle-345041/)

Trinity Ridge 01-12-2014 08:35 PM

NO gaited bit/gaited saddle

ive read a couple of individuals make this statement.

what does it mean exactly??

Brighteyes 01-12-2014 08:36 PM

More context please?

Trinity Ridge 01-12-2014 08:40 PM

thats about it.....in discussions on bits and/or saddles they say theres no such thing as a gaited bit/saddle.

Brighteyes 01-12-2014 08:42 PM

They're are bits and saddles marketed as "gaited horse." But gaited horses are horses. I ride my in a specialized saddle and a little S hackamore. I ride the ones I train in a normal western saddle and a full cheek snaffle. Having to have "gaited" equipment for a gaited horse is a myth.

On the flip side, I use a saddle with a "gaited tree" and an Imus bit for gaited horses on a QH.

trailhorserider 01-12-2014 08:48 PM

They mean that it's just a marketing ploy and you should use whatever saddle or bit works well for your horse......you don't have to have a special "gaited bit" or "gaited saddle" for a gaited horse.

While I agree with that and I use no special gaited tack for my Missouri Fox Trotter, I can't help but think that maybe a "gaited saddle" has a tree that was designed for gaited horses and if your horse is sort of within the average of whomever designed the tree, it might increase your odds of a good fit. Not a certainty, but it might tilt the odds in your favor. I've never tried one myself though.

With bits, gaited horses tend to be ridden into contact and for showing purposes, people have ideas in mind of what they think the bit should accomplish, so you see gaited bits. But for pleasure and trail riding you can ignore most of that and just use whatever your horse does well with.

princessfluffybritches 01-12-2014 10:03 PM

I've tried 4 gaited saddles and they were all too big. The tack store lady keeps insisting I need one , LOL. My horse has always fit perfectly fine in a Circle Y. Bits? I use a bit we both like to communicate with eachother.

Lockwood 01-12-2014 10:31 PM

On the saddles...sometimes a gaited saddle does indeed fit a gaited horse better because of how the tree flares for freer shoulder movement, which in turns encourages a more correct gait. And the more correct the gait, the smoother the ride is.
How any one saddle fits seems to be based more on how the individual horse is made.

While I do not own a gaited saddle, I can tell you that because of how my RMH is put together, a typical western saddle doesn't fit him properly and it is part of why I have stuck with English and Aussie saddles.
He is wide, low withered, and extra short backed. However, he still needs a saddle that allows for his movements and that is near impossible in most western saddles... for his particular shape.

ponyboy 01-13-2014 06:01 PM

The shoulder movement thing is baloney. You can't tell me that jumpers don't need to use their shoulders fully, and jumping saddles sit far forward.

Lockwood 01-13-2014 06:15 PM

An English saddle tree is constructed quite a bit different than a western saddle tree, as well as the saddle itself sits on the horse differently.
The leather flaps on a jumping saddle are more forward, but the tree is not.

Trinity Ridge 01-15-2014 11:55 AM

i disagree. i feel anything that may help rather than hinder is a not only a plus but an asset.

if a gaited horse can move better with the freed up shoulders b/c o f the way a gaited saddle is constructed than by all means use it. even if he can do fine in a traditional treed saddle, there is a very strong possiblity that he will do better with one built more for that type of horse. why not use it.

i do not even consider a saddle unless its a "gaited saddle" IMO its not a marketing ploy its a legit product that does alot of good if not for most horses but in all probability for all. its only common sense from my way of thinking.

as for the bit....i venture to say most will do fine in any type of bit, but a walking horse bit or a curb bit is better for certain types of gaited horses. i havent ridden but a couple types of gaited, but i believe a curb is better for their mouth b/c of the contact than a traditonal snaffle. and thats taking the style of reining outa the equation.

i believe in tools built for the job. even specialized tools. a saddle and bit are nothing more than tools. some of these are specialized for the type of horse. so why not use them?
all my persona thoughts and perceptions.