The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Videos (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-videos/)
-   -   She took my steering wheel away!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-videos/she-took-my-steering-wheel-away-34523/)

Hoofprints in the Sand 08-22-2009 05:35 PM

She took my steering wheel away!!!

Ok so not really :lol: But my trainer wanted to work on my form over the fences so she DID take my reins away - she knotted them and made me drop them right before the grid. She told me I shouldn't need them to ride anyway, and she's right...but they are like my security blanket haha!! So it was difficult, but still fun -- and great for my balance and leg strength!!

IheartPheobe 08-22-2009 06:13 PM

You look great! I LOVE doing this with my pony, but have never tried with so many jumps! : D
It helps if you put your hands on your hips. :)

Iluvjunior 08-22-2009 06:13 PM

yayyy for you! you look awesome!

centrestableswendy 08-22-2009 06:27 PM

Way to go Stef!!! You guys look great!

eventerdrew 08-22-2009 08:59 PM

you guys look wonderful!

Hoofprints in the Sand 08-23-2009 07:06 AM

Thanks!! IHeartPhoebe, great tip! I wanted to put my arms straight out to the sides like I was pretending to fly but Desiree told me to leave them down haha! I guess then it REALLY teaches you not to use your arms for balance at all...but hands on the hips prob would have been easier! I'll try that next time :-)

MIEventer 08-23-2009 09:02 AM

It makes you realize how many are actually very reliant on their reins when they ride, because of being taught incorrectly by coaches who either - don't know, or because they don't spend the needed time.

It is great to see a coach spending the needed time with their student to help them refocus where they should be riding - which is in their seat and legs.

Keep up the good work, glad you finally found the right coach. The right coach makes or breaks ya - and it baffles me as to why so many stay with coaches who aren't right for them.....

dreamrideredc 08-23-2009 09:16 AM

you guys look great!!! :D

Jillyann 08-23-2009 12:42 PM

I say this every time, and I will say it again, you two are such an amazing pair!!

IheartPheobe 08-23-2009 12:56 PM

My summer coach had us ride without reins for the first time in FOREVER the other day and I kept falling over.. hehe. But I got it toward the end. Ru was perfecct. <3