The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   critique my english riding!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-my-english-riding-34531/)

chika1235 08-22-2009 06:46 PM

critique my english riding!!!

4 Attachment(s)
ive been riding western for almost 6 yrs. the only instruction in english riding ive ever had was a week at horse camp and a couple of lessons since then.none of my horses have ever been rode in an english saddle and ive just bought my first all purpose english saddle,my question is what kind of bit should i use on my horses if im just starting out on english?yesterday when i first put on my my saddle and tack and everything i used a tom thumb bit becasue that was what i was using on my horse before and he seemed to be doing good.the horse im riding is lightning a 12 year old arabian gelding that is a very experienced horse and forgave me for whatever i did wrong.here are some pics,(i know i didnt ride with boots on but i couldnt wait to try out the saddle.)any critique or advice to better my english riding would be apreciated.and also i am going to get riding lessons.

chika1235 08-22-2009 06:49 PM

also any help with the stirrup length?does the saddle look like it fits me?

myhorsesonador 08-22-2009 06:53 PM

I'm not very good at this but all I can see is that your sterups(sp?) are way to long.

myhorsesonador 08-22-2009 06:54 PM

haha we posted at the same time :P

SpiritJordanRivers 08-22-2009 08:05 PM

Try Eggbutt Snaffle. I switched from the Tom Thumb bit to the Eggbutt Snaffle on my western horse because I read this article about how confusing the Tom Thumb bit is to the horse and how it distributes uneven pressure and jostles in their mouth and stuff. From what I hear, it's good for both English and Western.

Your stirrups are too long. When you take your feet out of the stirrups, they should touch the bulb of your ankle bone on the inside of your ankle. You have too much of your foot in the stirrups. Just have your toes through it. Heels down too :) You have a very pretty horse and a nice saddle <3

JustDressageIt 08-22-2009 08:12 PM

Please please please please for all that is good in the world, never ever ride in an english saddle without footwear with an appropriate heel. It would be so easy for your foot to slip through the stirrup if your horse spooked and you would get dragged. English stirrups and leathers are so light it's so easy to put a foot through.
I realize it is your own decision as well, but I highly recommend a helmet. As an instructor I will not teach minors (I'm taking a stab in the dark) without a helmet.
Your stirrups look ok for flatwork, but are long for pole/jump work. If you can rise your trot ok in that length, you're fine.
You are holding the reins incorrectly. You want to hold them like this:
http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto...reins_Full.jpg
That breastplate is much too big, I would go down an entire size.
Regarding a bit, since you are new to english and might be had handed on your horse's mouth, I suggest going with a nice loose ring snaffle, either a single or double joint, though I find most horses prefer a double joint.
http://www.horsetackinternational.co...ng-pinchle.jpg
Lessons will be your best friend. Your instroctor will go over position, contact, stretching and all that stuff with you.

Vicizmax 08-22-2009 09:14 PM

Well JustDressageIt pointed out all the things I wanted to say :D hehe
Although I have to disagree about the stirrups, I think they should go up a hole or two. Look a bit too long..!

JustDressageIt 08-22-2009 09:20 PM

I didn't notice the heel, I agree they could go up a hole or two. :)

chika1235 08-22-2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 385456)
Please please please please for all that is good in the world, never ever ride in an english saddle without footwear with an appropriate heel. It would be so easy for your foot to slip through the stirrup if your horse spooked and you would get dragged. English stirrups and leathers are so light it's so easy to put a foot through.
I realize it is your own decision as well, but I highly recommend a helmet. As an instructor I will not teach minors (I'm taking a stab in the dark) without a helmet.
Your stirrups look ok for flatwork, but are long for pole/jump work. If you can rise your trot ok in that length, you're fine.
You are holding the reins incorrectly. You want to hold them like this:
http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto...reins_Full.jpg
That breastplate is much too big, I would go down an entire size.
Regarding a bit, since you are new to english and might be had handed on your horse's mouth, I suggest going with a nice loose ring snaffle, either a single or double joint, though I find most horses prefer a double joint.
http://www.horsetackinternational.co...ng-pinchle.jpg
Lessons will be your best friend. Your instroctor will go over position, contact, stretching and all that stuff with you.

kk thank you.by the way im 15 and a freshman in high school,im planning on getting lessons at one of my friends stable,i have only a slight idea of how to ride in english as i do everything in western.i tried to hold my hands like that but i kept slipping back to how i normally ride.

chika1235 08-22-2009 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiritJordanRivers (Post 385446)
Try Eggbutt Snaffle. I switched from the Tom Thumb bit to the Eggbutt Snaffle on my western horse because I read this article about how confusing the Tom Thumb bit is to the horse and how it distributes uneven pressure and jostles in their mouth and stuff. From what I hear, it's good for both English and Western.

Your stirrups are too long. When you take your feet out of the stirrups, they should touch the bulb of your ankle bone on the inside of your ankle. You have too much of your foot in the stirrups. Just have your toes through it. Heels down too :) You have a very pretty horse and a nice saddle <3

i actually got this saddle and the girth,shaped saddle pad,martingle,bridle,reins,stirrups,and breastcollar.at a sale at a theraputic riding center(s.t.a.r.)all for 40.00.it was a big charity thing and there were a lot of great deals there.