The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Equine Careers and Education (http://www.horseforum.com/equine-careers-education/)
-   -   Anyone done University of Guelph Equine classes? (http://www.horseforum.com/equine-careers-education/anyone-done-university-guelph-equine-classes-345353/)

chelz 01-13-2014 12:24 PM

Anyone done University of Guelph Equine classes?

Hi everybody. I just enrolled this semester in the University of Guelph's online Equine school. I'm taking an Equine Marketing and Communications class this semester and I already love it (this is way more fun than business school, which I had been doing for 4 years! lol.)

I just wondered if anyone has taken U of G courses before and if so, what did you think of them?

Saddlebag 01-13-2014 07:04 PM

It's a top notch school so whatever you take it's going to be good.

ericka9 02-07-2014 06:24 PM

I was thinking of taking courses there but didn't know if it would be worth my time or money. Everything I been reading you really don't get a higher paying job from having a degree.
Wondering what everyone though are on this?

Chasin Ponies 02-08-2014 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericka9 (Post 4710953)
I was thinking of taking courses there but didn't know if it would be worth my time or money. Everything I been reading you really don't get a higher paying job from having a degree.
Wondering what everyone though are on this?

Hi Ericka, If you are looking for a job working with horses, please take it from someone who has 'been there, done that', an equine degree earns you absolutely no respect out there in the horse world.
If the online program is extremely inexpensive it may be worth your time just for personal knowledge but it is meaningless in getting a start with horses.
Real horse experience, reputation and credentials are what horse people respect and the equine colleges will never admit that none of their graduates are getting jobs unless they already have a stable at home to go back to.
Let's say you want to train horses. To be the kind of trainer who can charge a living wage and that show people will hire means getting credentials ie: having a super horse, going on a major show circuit and winning at a very high level consistently for at least several years. That takes a lot of time and money right up front.
From my experience with equine college I'd tell you to get your business degree instead. You will have very little problems getting a decent job and if you ever want to open your own stable you will have the business skills to keep it financially successful.
Do the course for fun and education but don't depend on it for your future!:-)

Allison Finch 02-08-2014 12:05 PM

I have a student who goes to my clinics in Ontario who was accepted there. She is very excited.

Zexious 02-08-2014 03:14 PM

Personally, I don't think "Equine Colleges" are worth it. I think you're better off working as an intern or working student under someone with a good name and reputation, so you can get yourself out there. Just my opinion (:

chelz 02-11-2014 12:06 PM

Here is my opinion so far (I've only been in the courses a few weeks!) but I love it! I feel like the things I'm learning are practical for everyday use with my own horses and I'm also learning a lot about the business-side of the horse industry.

I already have my Bachelor's degree in business administration. By adding this certificate to my record, I think it will help me obtain a job at a stable. My goal is to someday work in the Thoroughbred breeding industry, so I hope to intern at a farm once I have completed this certification program. I am gaining experience now working in marketing for a non-profit Thoroughbred aftercare group.

What do you all think? Would a Bachelor's in regular business, Certificate in Equine Business Management, plus time interning at a farm put me on a good track to achieve my goals?