The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Morgan Fan for Life (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/morgan-fan-life-345449/)

frlsgirl 01-13-2014 02:59 PM

Morgan Fan for Life

I visited a Morgan farm over the weekend as I was looking into purchasing one of them.

I have to say I was so impressed with all of them. They are all so friendly and inquisitive without being pushy.

At feeding time, I was walking my prospect horse up a hill and the other Morgans just followed me. There was no squeeling or fighting over food. My prospect horse didn't even care that the other horses were eating while I was still working with her.

When I let her loose, she casually walked over to another horse and started munching on his hay. He pinned his ears a little bit but again no big deal.

There was even a Morgan stallion on the property. I was too chicken to pet him but was oooing and aaaing over him while the owner's 20 something year old daughter was handling him. He did have this "look at me I'm so special" way about him without acting all crazy.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience :D

jaydee 01-13-2014 03:06 PM

I love the Morgan breed - from what I've seen of them they are very similar in looks and temperament to my TB x welsh C and she is possibly the best horse I will ever own. She's full of life but not stupid or out of control, she's really smart, ignores other horses when you're riding or doing anything with her, goes wherever you point her and has a real character that makes her stand out from the crowd

Inga 01-13-2014 03:40 PM

I am sorry but I must admit to being a bit disappointed in this thread. I thought I would see a whole bunch of photos of Morgan horses when I opened it up. What? Not even a picture of your prospect?

I too love Morgan Horses and have had wonderful luck in handling and showing them. I used to ride a Morgan Stallion that was a bit nippy and a tad full of himself from time to time but overall, a peach to handle and ride.

frlsgirl 01-13-2014 04:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok - here is a pic. Didn't want to get in trouble for double posting as this pic is also in the conformation critique section ;)

freia 01-13-2014 05:11 PM

The best horse I ever had was a Morgan. you know that one horse that you bond with so closely that only comes along once in a lifetime?

She was brave, smart, calm, gentle, and soooo smooth. Our neighbors owned a Morgan farm, both showing and breeding. I exercised many of their horses. I was 10-14 years old, and I regularly rode their stallion. As with any breed, they all had their very distinct personalities, but in general, they all had that gentle, brave disposition that my own horse had. My horse was very sure-footed and athletic. Always very healthy, with "wonder-hooves" as I called them.

Remember that what you observed at the farm you visited likely reflects just as much upon how the horses are raised and treated as on the breed itself. Mistreat a Morgan or let it get bored, and it can get just as naughty as any other horse.

Also be aware that I found their intelligence to be quite a challenge, much as with the Arab I owned. They are very willing to learn and eager to please. That means they learn bad habits as quickly as good habits. They will keep you on your toes. I have never seen any malice in a well-bred Morgan. Lovely horses. Enjoy.

rideverystride 01-13-2014 06:18 PM

I hope you buy her she looks and sounds like a sweetheart, and she's gorgeous too :).

piglet 01-13-2014 06:26 PM

My first horse was 3/4 Morgan. He was a SAINT who earned his place in Horse Heaven for his patience with me.

wakiya 01-13-2014 10:09 PM

I'll have to post a picture of the Morgan mare that was boarded at my barn such a sweetie and looked pretty traditional. I'm partial to foundation/lippit lines myself. I've never met a mirgan I didn't like.
Posted via Mobile Device

4hoofbeat 01-16-2014 12:50 PM

Beautiful Mare!

I have a Morgan, he's 28, and my baby.
We've been through a lot together, he has the best personality, always inquisitive, and tries to 'help' when his stall gets cleaned. LOL

I'll post some pics later

oh and to 2nd what freia said.. they are very intelligent. if my guy gets bored, he will let you know.

Inga 01-16-2014 05:36 PM

Darn it, I still can't see the photo. Seems unfair to me. ha ha