The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Meeting an Eventing Instructor on Tuesday! Advice! (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/meeting-eventing-instructor-tuesday-advice-34577/)

Spastic_Dove 08-23-2009 01:11 PM

Meeting an Eventing Instructor on Tuesday! Advice!

So on Tuesday I am going to observe some lessons with Meggan Holloway, a local eventing/dressage instructor here in town. I am planning on taking some lessons on one of her schoolmaster horses and maybe doing a few with Diesel so I can get help with teaching him to use himself correctly.

(Her website: Holloway's Pretty Good Horse Barn Jess and Megan Holloway, Montana)

I will be taking a the first few lessons privately then be moved into a group to save some money. So what are some things to look for when I go to watch her give lessons. Obviously her teaching style should mesh well with my learning style but is there anything specific to dressage/jumping that I should be looking for? What are some questions to ask?

Any and all advice is welcome! :)

MIEventer 08-23-2009 02:12 PM

What is it that you are looking for exactly? CC? Dressage? Stadium?

Spastic_Dove 08-23-2009 02:17 PM

A bit of each. I'm going to start out doing Dressage and stadium to get myself back into getting over fences and getting a solid seat/foundation. The ultimate goal is CC which is something I have never done before so obviously I have some catching up to do!

Spastic_Dove 08-24-2009 10:52 PM

Anyone?

Wallaby 08-24-2009 10:54 PM

I am super JEALOUS!!! Haha

Have fun!

Spastic_Dove 08-24-2009 10:56 PM

Thanks! :)

MIEventer 08-24-2009 11:03 PM

Sorry Spastic - I am so busy with work and making browbands, I don't know if I am coming or going.

Just really pay attention to how she coaches. Is she encouraging, while yet really focusing on the important factors. Does she feel form fits function.

Watch her students ride. See where they are and how they ride.

It really is no different from finding any other coach - do they fit your mold of what Instructor shoud be? Now we know CC is not a sport to piss around with, so find out where she stands with how one should approach the fence and then important fundamentals to riding CC safely and educatedly.

What I repsect, are coaches who take their students back to the arena to work over stadium fences, when they see their students not riding to the base of the fence properly.

As Jim Wofford says - if you cannot jump a stadium fence solidly, you have no business riding a CC fence. I have to agree with him - there have been far too many accidents at lower levels last season due to insecurity in tack and lack of preperation and education - so if this prospective coach really focuses on the important factors, she's a keeper.

Go give her a feel and see where you stand after that.

Spastic_Dove 08-24-2009 11:34 PM

Thanks MIEventer! I've heard some really good stuff about her, so I've got my fingers crossed that I like what I see. She also does pony club so that would be doubly good!

I will definitely keep my eyes open and ask her how she feels about cross country. Thanks a bunch :)

Spastic_Dove 08-25-2009 04:31 PM

I have my first lesson on Saturday! I'm going to be riding a big paint named Levi and I'm very excited.

MIEventer, she definitely stresses a strong foundation. Apparently they host a clinic with Wofford yearly and she trained with him and took a lot of his ideas. She really wants a strong foundation in Dressage and she seems to really know her stuff. I've got my fingers crossed, but it looks like a good match!

MIEventer 08-25-2009 05:24 PM

I can't wait to hear about you endeavor! This rider looks pretty competant, I am sure you will be in good hands.