The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   What Are Some of Your Favorite Grooming Products? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/what-some-your-favorite-grooming-products-34590/)

mudypony 08-23-2009 05:15 PM

What Are Some of Your Favorite Grooming Products?

I thought it would be neat to share what grooming products you cannot live without.

Here are mine...
  • Healthy Haircare Moisturizer (best for everyday use because it's gentle and cheap)
  • Eqyss Avacado Mist (Best coat spray I've ever used! Great for detangling but also makes my horse's coat softer than it's ever been before. I LOVE that it's all natural too.)
  • Healthy Haircare Hoof Moisturizer (I love this hoof oil! Makes my horse's hooves look so nice and doesn't smell bad like other hoof oils.)
  • Eqyss Shampoo and Conditioner (Love both of these products. The shampoo makes my horse so clean, smells awesome, and leaves him silky soft. The conditioner is great on mane and tails. They brush out without any tugging or pulling which is awesome.)
  • Infusium 23 (The best detangler out there in my opinion. Cheap and smells so good. It has really helped my horse's dried out tail.)
So what are your grooming must have products??

Vidaloco 08-23-2009 05:22 PM

I like a lot of different things, but my favorite that I use every time I bathe a horse is the EZ-All foamer http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:...rge/028002.jpg
I like the horse wash by the same company but I use different shampoos in the foamer.
Other fav's:
Infusium (human stuff)
Mane and Tail detangler
Africa's Best Herbal oil (human stuff)
Vetrolin Shine

andysgagirl 08-23-2009 06:28 PM

I love the Mane and Tail (shampoo, conditioner, and detangler)! I use it on myself, my horses, and my dog! Lol.

I really love Oster grooming products too. I have most of the brushes and am trying to get the rest of them to complete my little collection. They work really great, especially the mane and tail brush. It gets out knots even when you don't have any detangler handy!

HorseOfCourse 08-23-2009 07:16 PM

The best stuff I have ever found it v05 leave-in conditioner and detangler which serves as a detangler, shiner, and a quick grooming tool. It can be used on you or your horse. It can also be used on the mane and tail or entire body. On the body, it makes it soft and shiny, but not slick and in the mane and tail it makes it feel like just-washed and very soft human hair, but not wet. It's VERY cheap and easy to find. It can be found in the human hair care section and looks like this:
http://img.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/392100.jpg

SorrelHorse 08-23-2009 08:02 PM

:D

My horses don't usually require much grooming. Luckily they are all pretty clean, but here's what I use....

Royal Blue Shampoo ~ I double-wash my horses if they are really dirty. And since Jester has more white then sorrel, I always use this for a light shampoo-ing and the White n' Bright for a shine afterwards, but if he isn't dirty I will only use the Royal Blue

White n' Bright Shampoo ~ It really makes the white on my horses stand out and shine.

Mane n' Tail ~ I use the detangler and the conditioner. It's brilliant. I can run my hands right through the tail afterwards xD

Show Sheen ~ For when I'm doing a halter class or if I'm showing a horse to a potential buyer only. Adds a huge amount of extra shine but if you use it when riding you slip right off, bareback and with saddle.

EZGuard Fly Spray ~ I don't know if this is technically a grooming product, but whatever. I use it before every ride because it really keeps the horseflies away. No one wants to bit by a fly that size, jeesh. :)

Rainmaker ~ Epic hoof oil. Dries fast and really keeps the hooves moist.

I consider myself fortunate because the horses clean themselves pretty clean by themselves and it doesn't take much to get the dirt off their coats, thank god. :D

southerncowgirl93 08-23-2009 10:26 PM

MTG- It's always helped me re-grow a horse's hair on scars, from rain-rot, etc.

Furazone- Not really a grooming product, but its great for big cuts that aren't deep enough to get stitched. It's great for hair re-growth on scars too...works a little faster for me than MTG on scars.

Show Sheen- Makes them nice and shiny and soft. :)

Horseshoer's Secret- Once again, not really a grooming product, but I love it! It keeps my horses feet in great condition, and if she breaks part of the hoof off(which has unfortunately happened once), it makes it grow back quicker and stronger than some other stuff.

RubaiyateBandit 08-23-2009 11:51 PM

Fiebing's Green Clean -- I just love this stuff. I use it on Magic before a show, to get all the stains out of her white fur when she just doesn't need a bath. It works wonders on the poop stains on her legs or the red marks she gets from rubbing against the horse trailer, plus it's not as expensive as that Cowboy Magic stuff.

Mane & Tail Shampoo and Conditioner -- Hey, it's been used for so many years, how can you go wrong? It gets the job done, and is cheap enough. Plus, I can use it myself in a pinch, and mix it in a bucket of water, and it's not half bad at doubling as hand soap or a sheath/udder cleaner.

Quic Silver -- I only use it for Magic's pre-show baths if she got really dirty before hand, and once in a panic when Tanner cut herself and had blood and pus soaking her back leg that wasn't coming off with just water, but it really does make my girls shine. I actually had one person joke that I must keep Magic in a dirt-free bubble, since she was so white and shiny.

ezAll Total Body Wash -- Another shampoo! It works for just the quick "spray the mud off them so they look presentable" baths, and doubles as trailer wash. XD It doesn't work so awesomely on stained fur or grease on a trailer -- the tough stuff, but makes for a quick bath.

Laser Sheen -- I usually spritz my horses down with this just a few minutes before entering the ring, and it leaves their coats soft and shiny without leaving some kind of weird dirt-attracting residue on their white marks like I've had Show Sheen do...

Mane n' Tail Detangler -- Ruby and Bandit have impossible to work with manes and tails, and none of my horses are kept in tail bags or mane tamers. This stuff gets the knots out pretty decently, but can sometimes be hard to work into a thick tail.

SuperPoo Conditioning Shampoo -- I got this stuff once because the name amused me (yeah, awesome reason to buy something, I know) and it worked really well on my older pony who had sensitive skin... he always seemed to be allergic to or get flaky skin from most shampoos, but this one didn't bother him in the least. I can't seem to find it anymore locally, though...

Hawthorne Hoof Freeze -- 2-Pak has always had sensitive feet, even with shoes on, so an imperative part of his grooming process was always to soak his hooves in some of this stuff. Unfortunately, it's been pulled from the shelves because people have been making meth from it or something...

Schreiner's Herbal Solution - OK, so not technically for grooming, but it's in my grooming box anyway. It's an all-natural wound ointment, and the company touts it for cuts, scrapes, fungus, or most anything else on your horse (or dog, or cow, or whatever), plus it helps hair grow back, eats away proud flesh, and keeps the flies off! I work at a tack shop that sells this stuff, and people come in and tell us that they've used it on themselves, too; I've even used it on a sunburn a time or two, and it does keep you from peeling and hurting later on (although it smells pretty... interesting, to say the least.).

Prairies Dixie Lee 08-24-2009 12:10 AM

What horse products are good for your horse that won't cost a arm and a leg?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudypony (Post 386119)
I thought it would be neat to share what grooming products you cannot live without.

Here are mine...
  • Healthy Haircare Moisturizer (best for everyday use because it's gentle and cheap)
  • Eqyss Avacado Mist (Best coat spray I've ever used! Great for detangling but also makes my horse's coat softer than it's ever been before. I LOVE that it's all natural too.)
  • Healthy Haircare Hoof Moisturizer (I love this hoof oil! Makes my horse's hooves look so nice and doesn't smell bad like other hoof oils.)
  • Eqyss Shampoo and Conditioner (Love both of these products. The shampoo makes my horse so clean, smells awesome, and leaves him silky soft. The conditioner is great on mane and tails. They brush out without any tugging or pulling which is awesome.)
  • Infusium 23 (The best detangler out there in my opinion. Cheap and smells so good. It has really helped my horse's dried out tail.)
So what are your grooming must have products??

I just bought a horse a few months ago and I am trying to find a shampoo and conditioner that well work well with my horse. I have a paint and the white spots on her never stay white. Do you guys have any ideas?

mudypony 08-24-2009 06:01 AM

Quote:

I just bought a horse a few months ago and I am trying to find a shampoo and conditioner that well work well with my horse. I have a paint and the white spots on her never stay white. Do you guys have any ideas?

I would definately recommend the Eqyss Premier Shampoo and Eqyss Cream Rinse (Conditioner) to anyone. It has left my horse cleaner than any other shampoo and rinsed out in one rinse, instead of 2 or 3 like other shampoos I've used. The conditioner is amazing and leaves the mane and tail like silk. As for the white spots I would use Quicsilver. It's amazing stuff! All you have to do is apply and scrub where you want it and then rinse after a few minutes.

AussieDaisyGirl 08-24-2009 09:25 AM

The only thing that is my absolute favourite would be the slickneasy block. That's one thing I have to have in my grooming bucket.