The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Fine English saddles for high whithered horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/fine-english-saddles-high-whithered-horses-34604/)

Manda18 08-23-2009 09:12 PM

Fine English saddles for high whithered horses?

I am in the process of looking for a new saddle for my horse and have no Idea what type to look at first and wanted some others opinions:D I am looking for a good quality close contact saddle in the $2000-3000 range that would fit my high whithered thoroughbred. I really like the CWD's, Antares, Calibre, Devoucoux, Childric and Butet saddles but am not sure how any of them fit. If anyone could let me know how these or any other type of saddles fit it would be greatly appreciated:lol:

luvs2ride1979 08-24-2009 01:12 AM

I would find a shop that has the brands you're interested in and ask about trial policies and if they will help with saddle fitting. You need to try each saddle on your horse to see what fits him, then you need to ride in the saddles that fit to see if they work for you.

For a high withered horse, the saddle should fit behind the shoulder and allow enough clearance for the withers. I like a partially cut back pommel to help accomplish that. That way you don't end up improperly fitting the saddle to his withers, and end up needing a riser pad...

upnover 08-24-2009 09:56 AM

All of those saddles come in different tree widths and that will be more important then getting a particular brand. I've found that Antares, Devoucoux and Delgranges (you should check out Delgranges! excellent saddles right in your price range) all fit most horses pretty well, except for those particularly hard to fit. Haven't had any expereince with CWDs but I have heard the new ones are crap. Another trainer at my barn has a Butet (again, regular tree) and has a lot of issues with high withered horses. It tends to lay on their withers and pinch in other areas. She has more issues witih saddle fit then anyone else with a french made saddle, which I do think is kind of strange because I know Butets are extremely popular.

Manda18 08-25-2009 12:27 PM

thanks for your suggestions:)

xLaurenOscarx 09-13-2009 06:26 PM

I have a high withered thoroughbred and i use a windtec general purpose saddle and it fits perfectly:D

miahorsegirlie 09-20-2009 07:44 PM

I am selling my SLT english close contact saddle that fit my high withered horse pretty well. pm me or email side_englishrider@hotmail.com if you want more info on it.

kitten_Val 09-20-2009 09:35 PM

It's a pity you are not around my area. :D There is a store here with hundreds of saddle (I'd never believe in it, but I've been there and never seen SO many saddles at once). The owner lets you choose several saddles first, and then he comes to your place with all those saddles and try them on horse to see, which one is the best fit.

If you have stores around, ask them about it. May be they'll be willing to do it (at least all stores in my area are OK about it). Also places like Pet Supplies, Dog Supplies, Horse Supplies, Horse Tack, Farm Supplies - Valley Vet Supply and Dover Saddlery - Quality English Horse Tack & Horse Supplies for the Equestrian. have trial saddles (you just pay for the delivery, and if you don't like you just return them).