The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Help me choose! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/help-me-choose-34621/)

IheartPheobe 08-24-2009 12:58 AM

Help me choose!

In around two weeks, I have my first riding lesson since camp ended. I'm going to call up the barn to request my horse.. and I'm torn.
My three choices are:
A) Zucchini. He is my favorite horse in the entire world, and I love to ride him more than any other horse out there, but he is owned. And if I were to request him and not get him, they would stick me on some random horse, so I'm not sure if I should ask for him. If I did get him, though, it would be a dream come true, since I ride him so rarely nowadays. He can do almost anything.
B) Gonzo, who most of you know. He is the love of my life. I rode him all summer and love working with him. He is getting small for me, and I don't think my instructor wants me to ride him anymore. I was good for him at first, but he's ready for less experienced kids, and a friend of mine has also been looking to work with him. I think if I called, I could discuss whether it'd be good to request him or not, just for my first lesson, with my instructor, but I think it may be pointless to ask for him. I just don't know if they'd give him to me. But I love this pony too much to give him up, and am dying to ride him. My mom also hates him (:'() for no reason and doesn't want me to ride him anymore. He has a lot of potential but is not ready to do much more than small crossrails.
C) Rupert, my old lesson horse. I rode him a little this summer again and now kind of miss him. He can jump the moon but can be hard to handle. I think now I can handle him better but we still do have problems. Although he can be a little stubborn he is a very, very safe mount and since I will be out of shape, he may be a good choice. He puts up with a lot. You could ride this horse backwards, no tack and he would just walk around. I also know him very well and love him. It will be hot out, though, and he has breathing problems, so we'd have to take a lot of breaks. I don't have a problem with this but don't know if I should ride him in the heat. :\

Which one would you guys choose? Or do you think I should leave the choice up to my barn?

IheartPheobe 08-24-2009 07:07 PM

-Bump. Please help!!

paintsrule 08-24-2009 07:14 PM

I'd leave it up to your barn they probably know whats best for you and the horses.

IheartPheobe 08-24-2009 07:19 PM

As some people know from previous threads, when I leave the choice up to my barn they give me random horses. Knowing that the horse I'll be on is anyone's guess makes me really nervous. :\

elrohwen 08-24-2009 07:25 PM

Do you have an instructor you can ask? I know from personal experience that if I got to choose my lesson horse every time, I would always choose the easiest and most fun horse ;-) Sometimes it's good for your instructor to pick the horse that's more of a challenge, but will allow you to grow and learn more. I definitely understand not wanting a random horse, but maybe there's somebody who could help you make the decision that knows you and knows the horses.

How long would you have to ride the horse you pick? Do you get to change horses every few months?

IheartPheobe 08-24-2009 08:32 PM

I'm not sure how long I'd be ridding that horse. Some instructors will switch horses every week, but some will keep you on your horse for a while, and I'm not sure who I've got.

Fire Eyes 08-24-2009 09:57 PM

I'd just leave it up to the barn. They're not going to try and choose a horse you but a horse you will learn from and get better with.

Good luck.

paintsrule 08-24-2009 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IheartPheobe (Post 387088)
As some people know from previous threads, when I leave the choice up to my barn they give me random horses. Knowing that the horse I'll be on is anyone's guess makes me really nervous. :\

Oh, I'm sorry i didnt know. I hope everything works out for the best. :)

trvlingheart 08-24-2009 10:58 PM

I would choose to ride different horses actually, it will give you experiance and you can learn how to handle differnt personalities. When I was taking lessons I started getting bored when I rode the same horse everytime because I knew what to expect I got comfy and it wouldn't challenge me. I think especially if you get nervous riding different horses then you should start riding different horses, it will most likely improve your riding skills and your confidence!!

IheartPheobe 08-24-2009 11:07 PM

I do ride different horses. I switch around all the time. This would just be for my first couple lessons and since it will be my first time riding in a while I would like to ride a specific horse, but can't decide which. :)
I've decided to ask about different horses when I call :).