The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking for some advice!

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  backyardhorse 
#1 ·
Hello! My name is Abe and I'm in need of some serious help!

I'm a working student with no job, hah, I want to get into art and Equine studies but I have no experience with horses or farm work, something I've always have wanted to do since I was a child. I want to change that, so I've been re-searching everything that has to do with horse care, farm work and ect. The problem is, I live in the city and the closest barn would be hours away on car that I don't have. So my options are pretty much limited.

No one is going to hire a person with absolutely no experience, so I want to volunteer. I just don't know where to start since I'm new to all this. Any help, sites, advice, resources whatever would be very welcomed! I want to know all there is to know and expect in this field. Maybe be able to find a place to help out and gain experience!

#2 ·
Therapeutic riding stables depend on volunteers. People with barns will hire someone with no experience, too.

Is working on a dude ranch for the summer a possibility for you? A summer camp? You may not start out as a wrangler, but can often work your way into a position like that if you show strong interest and offer to help.

#3 ·
Hey Abe,
I don't know if you were able to get an idea of where else to look...I would look in the local telephone book under stables or boarding. Also look into trail rides or animal shelters sometimes get in horses or other horse rescue organizations.

Hope this helps.
Lynn

#4 ·
Abe, if you're in the city, there's probably a YMCA nearby. Many of them offer summer camps to their kids, and riding is a big draw. If you could volunteer with them, they'd probably be able to offer transportation to and from the camp. As an alternative, check with your city's recreation department, they might offer a similar summer camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.