The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

a little flat and some jumping critique please :)

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  madisonfriday 
#1 ·
Been so stinkin hot out finally got to ride!
If you look at my past videos definitely improving...I think! I think Hero is getting better with his "form"and so am I - We are moving barns soon so I'll finally have a real ring to ride in(no more slope) !! Then I'll probably get a trainer out to help us with everything again (I've been slacking )

Anyways Hero normally doesnt jump this height, we need to work on RUSHING to the jump will grid work help this? We been practing some grids
Maybe its because I rarely jump this heigh with him?? This was our first time cantering around a full circle before coming to a jump too:p

Oh yeah so a little background - I have had a jumping lesson in ten years..so I'm trying to get back into it on my own...for now. That slow down part I know I didnt release too good. and i need to keep heels down

Still... lol those red painted lines are the 3'3 mark

See less See more
1 1
#4 ·
You need to keep your hands quieter...especially during the canter I noticed you tend to "pump" your hands. Maybe work on just keeping them "planted" by his withers for now so they stay more still. Also, work on keeping momentum. You should have the same rhythm throughout the circle. Every time you get to the line before the fence he slows down and loses momentum and then lunges forward to rush the fence, and you let him. I would do more circles before the jump and not let him just go straight over every time.

He's cute :) Reminds me of a tb I was riding earlier in the year.

Also, work on getting him moving out and more forward (the trot at the beginning of the second video is very up and down.) He's a bit heavy on the forehand. Rounder movements will help your momentum and timing, as well as help him jump rounder (preventing the rushing will help, too.) Gymnastics are a good tool for this. You'll have to be sure you're more organized between jumps, though--shorten your reins a bit so you're not dropping them so far down to slow him after the jumps.

Madison, I noticed a lot of head-bobbing, especially at the beginning, but I don't know if I saw any lameness in the legs? She doesn't have the quietest hands, it could just be the contact. He seemed to want to jump, and if he was ouchy I think there would have been more resistance.

#6 ·
thank you alot of people think he is lame in this video - he is natural short strided. I'll work with keeping a consitant pace..

some think i should not ever be riding him yet :cry:
alot think i should not be jumping him but its rare when i do and its never over 2 feet

I might work with him on trot poles but since so many ppl said he looks lame i might give him the week off and check out his feet

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.