The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   We may have a winner!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/we-may-have-winner-34657/)

Lucara 08-24-2009 03:04 PM

We may have a winner!!

4 Attachment(s)
This girl is 12yr, 16.2 draft paint cross. She is green broke. She knows very basic commands but still needs a bit of work.
The people who have her have only had her for 2 months. They rescued her from people down the road who were not taking care of her. They are only selling her due to the fact that her husband just brought home a new percheron gelding and they dont have enough grass to support 3 horses.

According to what she said on the phone.. She can lunge but does better in the round pen. She does not know voice commands but works best off of visual (pointing). She is just learning to pick up her feet and is doing good but needs a farrier with patience. Has a very sweet and willing attitude but can be lazy at times.
She needs work with responding to pressure.

What do you guys think of her? I think we will go see her this weekend instead of the stallion.

They are asking $550 for her because she was a rescue and still needs a lot of work.

themacpack 08-24-2009 03:08 PM

Very pretty. She looks pretty good to me. Is that a number/brand on her hip on the picture from the rear?

Lucara 08-24-2009 03:12 PM

Yeah the owners think she may have been a PMU mare.

Rebelappy 08-24-2009 03:26 PM

shes a cutie very sweet look in her eye

iridehorses 08-24-2009 03:44 PM

Based on what is going on in the horse industry in my area, $550 is a LOT of money for a 12 year old, under muscled, green draft cross.

2 or 3 months ago I watched a 10 year old pure bred Perch go through the auction and brought about that much. This was a horse that kids could ride (several at a time!) and drove as well.

This is the time of year when the camp horses will go up for sale and there are some great bargains out there. Don't get caught up with a sad story, you need to think with your head not your heart.

Lucara 08-24-2009 03:59 PM

My instructor thinks it may be an ex rodeo horse due to the type of breed cross and brand. She thinks the people have got her and are "flipping" her.

Now, see everyone keeps saying this about the economy and price but for what I'm looking for I can't seem to find a whole lot in my state.

I've been kinda debating going to an auction with my instructor but I dont like the idea of not knowing what I'm getting. =/

AussieDaisyGirl 08-24-2009 04:02 PM

I like her. I'd probably pay about that much for her after seeing her in person.

dee 08-24-2009 04:07 PM

Your instructor is very wise. It takes a very experienced eye to pick out a good horse at auction, and even then you can get burned.

Lucara 08-24-2009 04:10 PM

and with the market I really cant afford to get burned. Lol

Man..I kinda suck at this! LOL

themacpack 08-24-2009 04:14 PM

If you can afford it, I see no problem with purchasing her - even given the current market (and, yes, it varies a lot from one locale to the next). Sob story or not, if it's economically feasible for you, why not?