The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   BAD PROBLEM, PLEASE HELP! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/bad-problem-please-help-3466/)

Peartree 09-22-2007 06:24 PM

BAD PROBLEM, PLEASE HELP!

Hello.
My mum's friend (husband and wife) from work live on a farm. One day, their neighbours moved, leaving 2 ponies behind.

The white one is a mare, and must be severely head she. You can't pat her anywhere but her nose and you have to move very slowly. She will lick you, thats it.

Then they have one just a tad smaller. This one is a boy. No idea is her is a gelding or not. He is very friendly and cute, follows ya were ever ya go.

EXCEPT ONE PROBLEM! :shock:
This lady only feeds them grass, they don't do any work and are the grubbiest things I have seen! (don't have grooming brushes)

The thing is, the black one has a thick layer of hard, crusted dirt on his back. And on his bad (like the spine) there is fur that is so short that its all stubby. Is that bad?

More in next post.

Peartree 09-22-2007 06:26 PM

Oops. *he is a gelding, not her!

Also, both tails are touching the ground. Bad? And he is very very dirty. She doesn't know what to do with them both. I might be getting one, the little black one. Also, he is up to m belly button, can I still ride him? He looks very stocky and I only weigh 48 kilos.

kat399 09-23-2007 02:58 PM

Sounds like these guys could use a good bath. lol

If that's not possible, you'll just need to invest in some brushes. You should get everything that is found in a standard grooming kit. A rubber curry will probably take care of the mud.

As for riding the pony, it's pretty much common sense. I can't tell you because I haven't seen you or the horse. Sounds to me like he's pretty small. Make sure that he is saddlebroke before even attempting to mount him. It could be dangerous.