The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Most obnoxious trail behavior? (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/most-obnoxious-trail-behavior-34670/)

riccil0ve 08-24-2009 08:08 PM

Most obnoxious trail behavior?

My horse zig zags down trails. Well, my "trails" are mostly logging roads, so she kind of wanders across the road. It isn't her being "uncontrollable," I think she thinks if she zig zags and takes forever to get there, I'll let her stop. It hasn't happened yet, but I think she's still hoping. =P

I was wondering what your horses most obnoxious trail behavior is.

Wallaby 08-24-2009 08:19 PM

Lacey does that exact same thing! In Lacey's case I think she just trying to get a good look at both sides of the road.
It was super funny when I took her over a concrete logging bridge a few weeks ago, she went to one side, stuck her head out and down towards the water then went to the other side and did the same thing, all while walking forward! Silly mares!

When we had access to actual logging roads a few weeks ago (Lacey lives in a rather residential area, we were on vacation, haha) she showed that she HAS to be in front. If she wasn't she'd get all anxious and worried. At home on the other hand, she doesn't want to go off the property. Haha

riccil0ve 08-24-2009 09:12 PM

Haha. That might be part of Ricci's problem too. She just loves to be out and she loves to LOOK! Thank god that when we have ourselves a run, she's straight as an arrow. Otherwise, running would be a nightmare.

Ricci doesn't really care where she is in a bunch of horses, but she tends to get really excited, so we move a lot faster than everyone else, and end up in front anyway. Otherwise she just walks up the butt of the horse in front of her, lol. She doesn't like being left behind, but she doesn't mind being in back.

Anyone else??

sandy2u1 08-24-2009 11:10 PM

If my horse sees something that worries him a little he will start sidestepping while still looking at whatever is worrying him. At times we have actually cut-off our fellow trail riders and even once pushed my sister and her horse right off the trail. OOPS lol. The other thing is when we are riding on the road, if I ask him to move over he will just move his head off the road and leave his rear in the road and walk like that!!! Why can't he do the sidestepping thing then lol

IheartPheobe 08-24-2009 11:33 PM

Rocco refuses to halt. He'll do any downward transition other than any gait to halt. (This is just on trails.)

danastark 08-24-2009 11:48 PM

Cody is a mooch. Every trail ride is a walking buffet to him. If we stop to let other riders catch up, etc, he is looking for something to eat! As long as he keeps moving, I don't mind much. My friend rode him and tried to keep him from eating. She said he had the funniest ways of getting a bite here and there-"Oh, my leg itches, gotta scratch it (snatches a bite)", "Gotta stretch my neck out.(snatches a bite)

Our paint gelding gets excited when others are cantering or galloping and does cow kicks at the canter or gallop!!

Our POA is the perfect trail pony, no problems at all :)

Fire Eyes 08-25-2009 09:24 AM

My boy get scared of everything, but I think he just fakes it.
He spins 180 degrees and casually walks back the way we came.. I've figured out if you keep your leg on he'll spin a full 360 without noticing we're going the same way as before. ;D

I obviously have an intelligent horse... :|

riccil0ve 08-25-2009 09:47 AM

Oh, I forgot some! My horse just loves to walk on the white line on the shoulder of the road. She will move off it when I ask her, which means there's a car coming, but she'll just sidestep right back over. She also doesn't like to stand still if I try and mount from an object. She just gets too excited and doesn't like to stand, much less by the scary thing.

danastark and Fire Eyes, both your stories cracked me up!

Ricci doesn't eat on the trail. She tries occasionally but I'll pull her face to my knee and yank all the goodies out. She just realzed there's no point, and thank god, because for some reason, it really bugs me!

Ricci likes to "scare" at things too. She pretty much does the same thing. I'll have to try and keep her spinning and see what that does. Right now, I turn her back around and hope she walks on. Otherwise she spins around again and I make her walk backwards. She hates that, lol.

Vidaloco 08-25-2009 03:19 PM

I read somewhere that a horse needs to see something from both eyes, thats why they zig-zag. They can't see directly in front of them or directly behind them unless they turn their head.
I hate it when Vida wants to ride the tail of the horse in front of her (usually Fras). I like to keep a horse length or more between us but she wants her nose in Fras's butt. She has almost gotten pooped and peed on because of it :lol::oops:

masatisan 08-25-2009 05:34 PM

In the winter: rolling and chewing on sticks/branches.
In the summer: eating everything in sight, head shaking/tail swishing (from bugs).