The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Crossing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/crossing-34681/)

Brumby 08-24-2009 10:08 PM

Crossing

Okay, I really like Mustangs. The problem is that if I follow my family lines I will be to big to ride them in a few years. So sometime in the future I would like to breed my mare to stallion of a little bigger breed to get a horse around 15 to 15.2 hands, pretty well built. I want to keep it Mustangish, just bigger. Not for speed but for stamina and thick necks and haunches. I know that crossbreeding isn't advised to make money, but I want to keep the foal. I like my mare a lot and want to be able to keep her offspring. So I was thinking A quarter horse? Draft? What would you all advise? Or alternatives. Thanks.

karlene 08-25-2009 04:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
would have to be a draft for me;-)
just had my mare put with a 17.2 irish sports horse who is part draft

dee 08-25-2009 11:12 AM

Speaking as a BBW myself, I would recommend a draft or draft cross, which is what I should have bought in the first place. I am losing weight, but will be much to large to ride anything else for a very long time, if not permanently. I rode a bit this weekend and my very cruel daughter videoed the event.:oops: That poor horse! It was a good thing I only rode him for a quick lap (just to show I could still ride after 20 years).

Brumby 08-25-2009 12:28 PM

yeah, it is just that all my brothers are over 6' and broad shouldered. Not overweight or anything just big.

APHA MOMMA 08-25-2009 12:49 PM

I don't think all mustangs are small though. I am in California and I have a friend that only owns mustangs. They are all branded on the neck with their numbers but they are all between 15.2 and 16.1 hands tall and nice and stout. Sometimes they even go to Mexico or New Mexico and Arizona to go and pick them up. I always thought they were smaller stout horses also because I have had one that only got up to 14 hh even.

But if you were looking to breed anyways just so you didn't have to search everywhere for that perfect sized mustang I would go with draft cross. :)

Jillyann 08-25-2009 12:53 PM

I would say go with a draft of some kind. Or if you do come across a bigger QH, do that. They have lots of stamina!

Brumby 08-25-2009 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by APHA MOMMA (Post 387603)
I don't think all mustangs are small though. I am in California and I have a friend that only owns mustangs. They are all branded on the neck with their numbers but they are all between 15.2 and 16.1 hands tall and nice and stout. Sometimes they even go to Mexico or New Mexico and Arizona to go and pick them up. I always thought they were smaller stout horses also because I have had one that only got up to 14 hh even.

Really? That is so cool. The tallest mustang I have ever seen was 14.2 hands!

reining girl 08-25-2009 03:01 PM

There are some huge mustangs in oregon to i dont know how but there are some 16+ hand ones. But i would say bred her to a draft or a big QH.

MacabreMikolaj 08-25-2009 09:53 PM

I would suggest a Draft cross if that's the path you want to take. I think a full blood Draft may ultimately producing a horse that's TO big for what you want, and lacking in a lot of stamina and agility.

Have you considered some of the bigger stock horses? I assume from your post that your mare is on the daintier side, so you're wanting to combined a little more height with a little more substance? If she's thicker, I'd look into possibly some chunkier built sport Thoroughbreds? That should help you compound some height, add some Mustang substance, and a combination of the speed/stamina factor. If she's daintier, then again, possibly some of the taller ranch-style bred stock horses with the thickset bodies.

Shay-la has a Mustang X Appaloosa and I can only assume her Mustang side was huge, because she's built like a tank. She's got a bit of speed and half-decent stamina (placed 1st in a 15 mile endurance race, being pushed at a trot most of the way), but zero agility. She's also a mega klutz, with no sensitivity. She'll demolish a jump as opposed to go over it. She's a darn good quiet trail horse though. Extremely laid back and lazy, but has some "git up and go" when you ask for it. She's also 15hh.

Good luck!

Brumby 08-26-2009 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I thought it might help if I posted a pic of the mare. This isn't a good pic, and she is a little underweight in the pic.