The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Stallions and Broodmares (http://www.horseforum.com/stallions-broodmares/)
-   -   Leasing a Stallion? (http://www.horseforum.com/stallions-broodmares/leasing-stallion-347457/)

ButtInTheDirt 01-17-2014 02:14 PM

Leasing a Stallion?

I am going to be leasing a stallion this spring to breed two of my mares. Now days, this seems to be a moderately uncommon practice. The majority of the time mares are brought to the stallion, and if not that, the mare is inseminated artificially. It seems more common with some [uncommon] breeds, and I just so have the opportunity to lease a very nice stallion to breed my two mares. I know this stud well, and what he produces. I am not here to ask about the breeding itself, but I was moreso curious about others with experience in leasing a stallion. So, experiences? In certain situations is it more convenient to lease a stallion? What were the terms? I have my agreement sorted out, but I am interested to see what made others look into leasing a stallion to breed. How long did you keep the stallion? How many mares merited leasing your own stallion?

Thank you all, please keep me informed. This will be my first time leasing a stallion, but I have confidence it will go well. It is just a bit of a uncommon practice for smaller operations.

SlideStop 01-17-2014 03:05 PM

Are you leasing him just to breed him??
Posted via Mobile Device

ButtInTheDirt 01-17-2014 03:28 PM

Yes? If I would send my mares to a farm to be bred, they would just be breeding them. Forgive me, as I am not entirely sure where you are coming from. I will be leasing him for the breeding season.

SlideStop 01-17-2014 03:33 PM

I'm just confused on why someone would lease a stallion verses just breeding to him.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yogiwick 01-17-2014 03:44 PM

Yeah seems odd. The only thing that really jumps out is having some sort of insurance. If another mare gets in with him/he gets out. Definitely insurance against unplanned breedings, or anything else that may come up with breeding a stud.

EmilyJoy 01-17-2014 04:20 PM

I could see a horse farm, with multiple mares, not having a stallion, and just leasing him when breeding season rolls around... Some dairy farms do that with bulls (because some farmers don't like the risk of keeping a bull on the place).

ButtInTheDirt 01-17-2014 06:44 PM

Like I said, it is not as commonly practiced as it has been. I was looking for advice from those who know more of the practice. Thank you for your replies.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 01-17-2014 10:11 PM

One of the big reasons people don't lease a stallion is because you have to carry enough insurance on the horse itself, should anything happen while it's in your care. That plus the liability turns it into an expensive proposition before you even get started. Another thing, most people don't have stallion proof fencing and in some areas there are tough laws regarding that.

paintedpastures 01-17-2014 11:26 PM

Leasing for the sake of just 2 mares doesn't make sense to me:? You have to have facility to house a stallion,have insurance,be feeding him etc.
If you were using for riding,besides breeding then maybe I could see that:-). I guess too the terms of lease could make difference,is it free lease? or is $ or foal from mating involved?
I know people that have done breeding leases on mares. In those cases Mare is used by stallion owner for a foal of his own, then mare is returned bred back for owner:-). Basically mare is gone on lease for 1 yr.

wakiya 01-17-2014 11:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I know of a few people who have leased a stallion for breeding. It's going well for them. Couldn't give you much more information though.