The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How much do you pay for board?

5K views 30 replies 28 participants last post by  Lucara 
#1 ·
Hey there. I was wondering how much you all pay for board and what you get. Heres a form to fill out saying what the barn offers and where in the US/CA/EU it's located. I'm filling it out with my barns info.

Price per month: $700 US
Stalls: 50, 12x12 each. Automatic waterers. Fly sprayers
Tack room: 2 tack rooms, saddle and bridle racks and a locker for each boarder.
Arenas: Indoor is 80x200 sand. Outdoor is 100x200 all weather sand. Indoor is lighted, both in and out have full course of jumps.
Pastures: several large pastures and small paddocks. Group and single turnout.
Care: Grain and hay 2-5x a day, unlimited hay, stalls cleaned 1x daily, blanketing, turnout, boots added ect.
Other: Full service lounge w/ couches and laundry room. Laundry service 2x a week included in board. 3 heated tack stalls, 1 heated wash rack. Fans on each stall.

So what does your barn offer and charge? I just want an idea of what different areas charge.

See less See more
#2 ·
Haha wow your's sounds so fancy! Wish I could afford that.

Price per month: $200
Stalls: No stalls outdoor board
Tack room: Small tack room with saddle and bridle racks and space to put a tack box.
Arenas: Nice sized outdoor sand ring (don't know exact size)
Pastures: several large pastures and small paddocks.
Care: Hay and Grain daily.
Other: Nothing really lol.

#3 ·
haha you would never catch me paying $700 a month for board LOL thats more than most car payments!

I pay $250/mo this is what it includes

feeding/hay twice a day and giving any supplements etc that you want
Her own stall and paddock
cleaning stalls once daily
large 30 stall barn i think maybe larger
large outdoor riding ring
round pen
trails
wash racks
storage for equipment

what i have to pay extra for:
$5 for havign her own fan in her stall
$5 for holding for farrier
$25 for blanket during winter (if you choose to)
I believe they worm to but its extra not sure about that??

I'm sure im leaving something out LOL

#4 ·
Here is my info:

Price per month: $375 US (this includes all feedings, feeding of grain if necessary, stall cleaning, and daily turnout)
Stalls: I have never counted but we have room for probably 40-50. There are different levels of stalls as well. Some have runs, some are just larger and some are the 12 x 12 box stalls. My horse is in a larger, partially covered outdoor stall.
Tack room: 1 main tack room, 1 additional one. The main tack room is actually a small building that my husband and I converted into a tack room for my trainer.
Arenas: Again, I don't know measurements. We have our main arena which is huge with a full course of jumps. We have a secondary arena that nobody really uses which is much smaller and only has a few jumps in it. We also have a round pen.
Pastures: several large pastures and small paddocks. Group and single turnout.
Care: Stall cleaning 1+ times per day, feeding 2+ times per day with grain if the boarder has it for his horse, daily turnout. Blanketing is $1 extra per day in the winter.
Other: Wash rack with cold and hot water faucets so you can get a nice luke warm temp.

#5 ·
My Info:

Price per month: $275.00
Stalls: 0 he has his own paddock with a shelter.
Tack Room: 1 small tack room. I don't leave my stuff there I bring it with me.
Arena: 1 outdoor arena / 1 round pen.
Pastures: One big field, daily turn out May to October
Care: Paddocks cleaned daily, feeding 2 times a day, grain in afternoon plus and other supplied feed (I have Hunter on some extras)

Totally relaxed laid back atmosphere.

#6 · (Edited)
For me at the moment...
Price per month: $200
Stalls: 3 (12x12 each, no run)
Tack Room: You can have a trunk, but I choose to use my horse trailer.
Arena: 1 round pen (20 or so feet across) Lots of arenas in the area though where you can ride up or haul to for a small fee.
Pastures: Two big fields, but you can split them up in having five horses in each section comfortably.
Care: Pastures are cleaned daily, stalls are cleaned daily, fly masks, blankets. Feeding is done 3 times a day, and you can buy your own grain for them to feed your horse.
Other: There is room to keep your horse trailer there if you want. You can ride off on lots of trails (the longest loop is about four hours), and have access and permission to ride in farmers fields.

#7 ·
Surrey, British Columbia

Greylite and Cougar
$150 a horse
Own stall, paddock. I could have two individual ones but I prefer my horses to be in to gether. small little grass paddock they can go in, tack room, place to put your grain. They will throw feed in the morning. You do the rest.
An outdoor arena and I am the only one who rides my horses out of the 15 horses that are there. We have a round pen and trails near by. It's a nice relaxed place with lovely people. I love it there.

Shaddy:
Langely, BC
$100
She is out on seven acres with another horse. She gets grain, hay, a shelter, free run of the pasture and lots of love. They feed her and water her etc. She's happy as a clam in retirement.

#9 ·
Price per month: $150
Stalls: Six; 12x12; automatic waterers.
Tack Room: One good sized tack room. Each boarder gets their own trunk, grooming box, and spot of bridles, saddles, etc.
Arena: One 30 foot round pen and two very large paddocks with a few jumps.
Pastures: Three giant fields for pasture boarding, a smaller one near the barn for the lesson horses during the day, and two pattacks were the minnis and other fat horses sometimes stay.
Care: Stalls cleaned 1-2 times daily and fed as many times a day as the owner needs.
Other: Lots of trails, good people, and plenty of help for the newbies. Horses are well taken care of.

#10 ·
Price per month: $650 including lessons

Stalls:26,all around 12x12, some might be bigger

Tack room: 1 Tack room, rought boarders have space in the wings they're in to put their tack.

Arenas: Sand outdoor, don't know the dimensions, and small dirt indoor. We're hopefully getting new flooring soon. No one uses the indoor except for in the winter.

Pastures: 3 very large paddocks and 11 smaller ones.

Care: Grain and hay twice a day, each horse gets something different. Turned out for 12 hours and then brought in. Stalls cleaned once a day. Put on fly masks and fly spray for turn-out.

Other: Viewing room in indoor with fridge, microwave, and some chairs. A nice fluffy couch to sit on outside of the viewing room. A wash stall outside. Nice, friendly boarders who are all extremley helpful and an amazing instructor who owns the barn.

We also have rough board which is 350 a month including lessons, you have to buy your own hay,grain, and shavings and do turn-out one weekend every couple of weeks.

#11 ·
I have my horses at home now but a few months ago I boarded them, it was nothing like yall's places though!

Price per month: $100 USD
Stalls: Not sure how many... maybe 25?
Tack room: One tack/feed room per horse, but they had extra so for 3 horses we had 2 tack rooms and 2 feed rooms. There was also a large storage room for hay.
Arenas: Outdoor sand arena, and a jumping area that wasn't fenced in, two roundpens
Pastures: 3 large pastures
Care: We were responsible for everything besides the facilities. A barn manager cleaned the pastures, arena, barn, etc. We were responsible for cleaning out horses stal 1x day, bringing our horses in/out from pasture, feeding, getting the farrier and vet out, everything.
Other: There was a small riding clubhouse with a fridge, couchs, table, bathrooms, etc. Their were also trails (kept up by the base), a place to park your trailers, and two heated wash racks.

#12 ·
Price per month: $80 NZ
Stalls:NA - but there is a covered Tie up area
Tack room: 1x tack room - Hay storage, float storage
Arenas: NA - but there one next door for hirage at 10$ per hour and all paddocks are flat and can be ridden on all year round
Pastures: 12 Acres - Horses in nz are usually out 24X7 - Group turnout - cross grazed with sheep

In Nz most of our horse spend all day outside - so we dont pay for stalls etc - some of the show ponies have stable but more are out - remembering it doesnt get all that cold over here.... The most my girl wears is a 300gram cover and most of winter is in a 220gram... I suppose its also as we have a lot more land than alot of other places too :)

We tend to do grazing as oppose to boarding where you literally just pay to put your horse on grass :)

#13 ·
Price: $850 US

Board includes:
-12x12 stalls for boarders
-Indoor and outdoor arena with full courses of jumps in both
-Heated indoor wash stall and an additional outside wash stall
-1/2 day of turnout with average pastures and one large grass turnout
-Grain AM and PM with supplements
-Hay four times a day
-Two tack rooms available for your trunks, saddles, etc.
-Stalls cleaned once daily
-Heated viewing lounge from indoor
-Trailers are allowed on property if you're a boarder

Regular board at my place is $700, but I am charged a ring fee as I have an outside trainer. $700 is average where I am, and the more out east you go from me board will at least be $1,000. There are some places that are even $3,000. :?

#16 ·
Price: $850 US

Board includes:
-12x12 stalls for boarders
-Indoor and outdoor arena with full courses of jumps in both
-Heated indoor wash stall and an additional outside wash stall
-1/2 day of turnout with average pastures and one large grass turnout
-Grain AM and PM with supplements
-Hay four times a day
-Two tack rooms available for your trunks, saddles, etc.
-Stalls cleaned once daily
-Heated viewing lounge from indoor
-Trailers are allowed on property if you're a boarder

Regular board at my place is $700, but I am charged a ring fee as I have an outside trainer. $700 is average where I am, and the more out east you go from me board will at least be $1,000. There are some places that are even $3,000. :?
$3000??????? HOLY MOLY!!! Thats crazy! Average is between $500 and $800 where I live, but I cannot imagine ever paying $3,000 to board a horse. Thats crazy.

Board is $800 where i ride. It is all care meaning that horses are turned out all day, feed twice a day, and given tons of hay. We have an indoor heated ring, an outdoor dressage ring and jumping ring, onsite horse shows and two (main) trainers who are awesome. The barn is really a community which i love. Everyone hangs out and helps each other, whether they are 9 or 70! The barn is really awesome and i couldnt imagine not having it! :)
Thats alot like the barn I'm at. The people there are sooo great. Its a nice change considering the past couple barns I've been to have had alot of sour boarders.

#15 ·
Board is $800 where i ride. It is all care meaning that horses are turned out all day, feed twice a day, and given tons of hay. We have an indoor heated ring, an outdoor dressage ring and jumping ring, onsite horse shows and two (main) trainers who are awesome. The barn is really a community which i love. Everyone hangs out and helps each other, whether they are 9 or 70! The barn is really awesome and i couldnt imagine not having it! :)

#17 ·
The barn that I am at is in Hugo Minnesota/ USA:D
Cost:$241
Stalls: No stall outside board/ but you can choose too have your horse stalled at night for a extra $3 dollars a day.
Tack room: Small tack room with saddle and bridle racks and space to put a tack box.
Arenas: Nice sized outdoor sand ring (don't know exact size)/ indoor riding area pretty good size.
Pastures: several large pastures and small paddocks.
Care: Hay and Grain daily.
The owner of the barn does all the deworming himself for extra 5 dollars.

#19 ·
Maddy:
Price per month:
$450
Stalls: 25- 12X12 with 12 run and there are some small pastures with covers you can get too
Tack room: 2 tack rooms, one in each barn
Arenas: 2:100x200 All Weather, a big Jumping field and a round pen
Pastures: 3 small pastures
Care: fed 2x a day (anything you want), nightly bed checks, on site owners, stalls cleaned 7 days a week, bedding
Other: 2 trainers come in each week on specified days, all legit people at barn, they will grain- blanket- turn out ect for a little more

Brodie:
Price per month: $75
Stalls: 4 12x12 with a 12x24 paddock
Tack room: 1 tack room
Arenas: a round pen, but we trailer to a covered community arena
Pastures: one small and one big
Care: fed 2x a day anything i want to feed him :)
Other: this is my best friends parents house so i clean my own stall and have a really nice set up :) and i get to use their trailer whenever i need (3 horse slant goose neck with tack room and the truck is at my disposal too)

#20 ·
Price per month: $625 CAN
Stalls: 30, they're big, probably 25x20?
Tack room: tiny little lockers that bearly fit my saddle and have no room for anything "extra" like blankets or vet supplies.
Arenas: Indoor is 100x225 sand that is occasionally harrowed, outdoor is slightly larger, sand and occasionally harrowed
Pastures: not enough.
Care: We have hay!! They feed hay 2-3x a day and cubes once, grain 2x a day. One blanket on and off. No boots or anything extra.
Other: I hate boarding horses in my area!!!!! 4 hours south of us at my trainers barn the facility is gorgeous, maintained and full service for only $775/mo. You could honestly not see your horse for 6 months and as long as you kept mailing cheques your horse would be in pristine condition when you came back. They organize EVERYTHING.

#21 ·
Price per month: $450 paddock board
Stalls: 30
Tack room: Not a room exactly. A section in the barn that has lockers for each boarder
Arenas: Large outdoor sand ring, large indoor heated sand arena
Pastures: 4 large pastures and small paddocks. Group and single turnout.
Care: Grain and hay 2-5x daily
Other: Full service lounge w/ couches and laundry room. 1 heated wash rack

#22 ·
Price per month: $900 per horse/per stall.
Stalls: Well, there's two barns on the property with a total of about 65 stalls, all 12x12, automatic watering system, rubber mats, hay feeders.
Tack room: 4 tack rooms plus if you want your tack trunk in the tack room or by your stall. Each person gets two saddle racks per horse they have, and 4 bridle hooks.
Arenas: Two heated indoors, one with course one without, two outdoors one with course one without.
Pastures: There's a lot of large pastures, and some smaller paddocks used for the broodmares that are in foal/with foal.
Care: Stalls cleaned 2 times a day, grain and hay 2 times a day, blanketing/booting. And you want someone to braid/clean tack/load up your stuff for shows they have that for a fee.
Other: Access to the lounge and laundry room, owners on property which i find very nice in case of an emergency..it's hard to find a barn that the owners live on around here. Trainers are there 4x a week to teach lessons.

#23 ·
Price per month: $850 US

Stalls: are big

Tack room: there are 2 border barns with 1 tack room each in it. the tack rooms include a bridle hook, a sink, and a washing machine. each horse owner gets a huge locker, so we dont really need a tack room.

Arenas:
Indoor=lighted and 80x220 (full courses)
Jumping Outdoor=lighted (full courses)
Small Outdoor (has about 1 jump in it)
All Purpose Arena=HUGE (jumps are brought in for events)
Outdoor Dressage Arena
*the arenas get dragged & watered AT LEAST once every two weeks*

Pastures: about 20 medium sized paddocks (single turnout only-each horse once per day)

Care: Grain and hay 2-3x a day, watering throughout day, unlimited hay, stalls cleaned 1x daily, blanketing, turnout, boots added ect.

Other: heated/air conditioned office w/ couches, table, chair, viewing glass (to see indoor),and kitchen (sink, counter, microwave, mini fridge & freezer, hot tea, coffee maker). washing machine in tack room anyone could use. 4 wash stalls outside.

#24 ·
I pay $500 a month. We just moved to an Eventing Facility.

Here in Michigan.

We get:

- Pasture 2/3 horses per pasture
- Continuous Round Bales in each idavidual pasture, always 2nd cutting hay
- Stalls available for vet reasons, or for when it gets cold or rainy
- Fly masks on and off, sheets on and off, blanketing depending on weather
- Vet/Dentist/Farrier
- Up to 8 pounds of indavidual grain, twice a day. Nelson is on Tripple Crown.S.
- Oral Suppliments, IM Glucosamine Injections if needed
- 2, 1 hour Private Lessons a week
- CC Course
- Outdoor and Indoor arena full furbished with stadium jumps
- Trailering to shows and comps thorughout the Eventing Season

#27 ·
I paid $450 for my mare at my trainer's place. The price there is now is $545. But, you definitely pay for what you get with her. They are excellent horse people. I would trust her with any horse. They are an eventing barn. I bought my current horse from her and he's amazing - She broke him and everything. She's just such a great trainer - Took my last mare from school horse (that was kicked out of every show) to DQ!! She has so much horse knowledge. Outside all day, indoor and outdoor arena, XC fences, 209340298 trails, clean. If I had the money I'd completely keep my horse there - He now lives at my house where I only dream for a place as amazing as her's! She treats every horse there as if they were one of her own.

The thing is, some places you don't get what you pay for. Where my last horse used to live, Mount Holyoke College, horses get 2 hours a day outside for 6 days a week. They have a great facility, but it should mostly be used as a show barn. They charge $700 a month.

#28 ·
At my barn, there are 3 types of board. I will list all three, but I do self-care board personally.

1:Outdoor 24/7 Board
Price per month: $240
Stalls: No stall with outdoor board.
Tack room: Outdoor boarders store their belonging in the hayloft. There is a special section for tack trunks and such.
Arenas: Sand 80X120 indoor, very large outdoor.
Pastures: 80 acres of pasture, 4 individual turnouts for injured horses.
Care: Nothing except a provided lean-to for harsh weather and the horses get hayed in the morning and night during the winter.
Other: Full access to barn amenities including bathroom, wash stall, etc...

2: Self-Care Board
Price per month: $300
Stalls: 36 12X12 stalls. Rubber mats.
Tack room: Heated tack room. You are provided with a saddle rack and bridle hook.
Arenas: Same as above.
Pastures: Same as above.
Care: Your horse is grained and turned out for you in the morning. His blanket is removed when turned out. You must bring in your horse in the afternoon, and you are responsible for cleaning stalls, feeding and watering, blanketing, etc... unless you pay an extra fee. You must provide all feed, hay, shavings...
Other: Access to all rings, right next to state park with thousands of miles of trails. Wash stall, heated bathroom and grain room, and tack room.

3: Full Care Board
Price per month: $600
Stalls: Same as above.
Tack room: Same as above.
Arenas: Same as above.
Pastures:Same as above.
Care: Grain and hay 2x a day. Stall is cleaned daily, your horse is turned out and brought back inside. All blanketing is provided and water is refreshed and cleaned daily.
Other: Same as above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.