The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Critique hoof trim? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/critique-hoof-trim-34797/)

free_sprtd 08-26-2009 09:01 PM

Critique hoof trim?

3 Attachment(s)
This is Thunder's new look after the new farrier trimmed him. What do you think? He does have the rounded toe (mustang roll) and the last picture looks really upright but it's at a little bit of an angle. Also these were taken from cell phone, and hoof was dirty. Thanks!!

smrobs 08-26-2009 10:58 PM

Looks darn good to me. Love that beautiful mustang hoof. ;)

free_sprtd 08-26-2009 10:59 PM

Ya this was his one good foot, the other three have the tiny abscesses lol. Thanks! i was worried it wasn't right because it looked so different than the others that trimmed him, but just guessing that the others were sloppy :)

smrobs 08-26-2009 11:02 PM

Of course, I am far from an expert on barefoot trimming but it looks balanced and well rounded to me. ;p

I didn't know that he had abcesses in all 3 others :O I thought it was just one. That is really odd that he would get them in 3 hooves at once. :?

Spirithorse 08-26-2009 11:05 PM

Excellent trim from what I can tell. I trim my own following Pete Ramey's methods and I love it.

free_sprtd 08-26-2009 11:08 PM

I know RIGHT??!?!? that's why I was like "what the heck???" one is like a hole the width of a pen about 1/4" deep that was pussing (rear left), and is not anymore since ive been cleaning it, the other is along the bar facing the white line that isn't deep, but was wide...pussed the first time (front right) , then hasn't since, and the other is in the rear right, but hasn't gotten to the surface and is really small. So I have NO IDEA why he got them, apparently back in may the old farrier said that it looked like he had had one that popped itself (no clue on my part, even though i clean his feet). So maybe it's the oats in his diet? the not being on pasture? Standing in mud in the winter? idk. :(

AWesome thanks SH!!! I am glad that this new guy is working :)

Appyt 08-27-2009 10:06 PM

Looks good to me. Could be the abscesses are releasing due to a change in trim style? Sometimes when you fix something the yuckies have to vacate. ;)

NorthernMama 08-28-2009 09:35 AM

The side pics are definitely off, but as you indicate this already, I'll assume that it is only the picture view because the bottom looks OK. Personally, I would have gone lower on the heels, but especially with problems in the other feet the trimmer probably made some concessions here.

All in all, a nice foot in my opinion. Lots of frog and nice and wide.

free_sprtd 08-28-2009 04:25 PM

thanks! Yes this was a corrective trim after several years of having bad trims. It's only been a week, so ill be keeping an eye on him for sure. Hoping that it gets better.

SamboStar 08-28-2009 05:11 PM

Yes, I'd say a little lower on the heels, but they look great overall. Nice balance, good roundness, love the frog...great! Looks like a nice trim to me!
The "Mustang Trim" is what I've been trying to use on Sam...and may I remind you, TB's aren't mustangs!! His feet have been doing well, but they're not perfect...I get to trim the hooves of a QH that Sam's owner has...a pretty gelding, great feet (treats gravel like grass), but he's a training project. He has high heels too, due to the trim her farrier uses, but I'm going to work on it...
Great hooves, free_sprtd!
(remember me? I used to be Bucky's Buddy?)